Warmoth basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman210, Aug 31, 2002.

1. are warmoth parts good quality? because im am considering ordering the parts for one, and i was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on them.
  2. Guy Dude Bro

Guy Dude Bro Guest

Aug 31, 2002
    Duluth, GA
    I just completed a Warmoth bass in these past couple of months. It's a jazz bass body with a musicman pickup. I absolutely love this bass and I want build another a soon as I put together a good amp setup
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I currently own 2 Warmoth basses & I have one that I just received on a trade (waiting for other party, PacMan, to receive & approve the bass I sent him). You can see them both on my gear page & the 3rd is around here on TB some where.

IMO, Warmoth makes EXCELLENT QUALITY parts. With a little knowledge of assembling, set-up & work w/electronice, you will have a KILLER bass!!!!!
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    But I have a question about Warmoth. Do you order the parts, and they assemble it for you? Or, is their customer support really good, and they can help you ,make the right call? Thanks.

5. I dont believe that Warmoth does assembly, far as i know they just sell the parts...

Ken Warmoth is one of those rare CEOs who will actually answer yer emails personally... if you have questions, he likely has answers!

The Warmoth parts I have bought have been EXCEPTIONALLY high quality. IF in doubt about yer screw-driver & setup skills, you can have your favorite local luthier (or guitar tech) assemble it, and do the fine tuning. End result will probably be better than anything you get out of the fender factory. (even brand-new fenders usually need a lot of set-up work...)
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Could you post a pic of that? That sounds like a great idea. I'm gettin GAS for one just thinkin about it.
  7. I've been thinking about a couple Warmoths that would be sweet. one is, the Jazz bass with a MM pick-up, and the other is a 5 string Tele bass with a regular P pick-up.
    the problem is, which body do I pick for the 5 string Tele? I see the 5 string Tele neck, but the bodys in the P bass section are for 4 stringers, and they don't have the block style sharp edges like the old '51 P. or am I just wrong?
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got this one now. Very sweet bass.

And Nino's new Gecko (the MM should be delivered to me at work today Nino - I expect that everything will be groovy):

And I have a fretless jazz with J/MM pickups (sorry no pics), that's the sweetest fretless I've ever played!
  9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I AM the local guitar tech! I'm also a little bit lazy.;) Sounds too good to be true, but obviously it isn't!
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warmoth stuff is the poop. my roommate has a strat with a wenge/ebony neck and it's the best guitar i've ever played.

i think if i ever got over my 35" scale deficiency i'd be REAL happy with a pair of geckos and a J bass.
  11. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Chump Stain - we do make a Deluxe 5 Pbass body and Deluxe 5 Tele bass body, they're just not currently shown. We're working on an update of this section of the web site that will include them.

A quick search of our Thrift Shop revealed this:

It's mislabeled as a J but it's clearly a P - I'll have to get that fixed for next week's update....
  12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Since this thread has turned into "bwbass answers", I figured I'd post one of my own.

Is the Dinky J-Bass body available front-routed, and would a custom downsized pickguard be possible?

I also need to second the positive posts about Warmoth's e-mails. Every time I've asked a question I've received polite answers to all my questions in a timely fashion. More companies should treat their customers (and soon-to-be customers) like Warmoth. :D

Thank you Brian and Ken!
  13. Brian Goode,
    thanks a lot for answering my question.
    I think I'm going to start planning out a nice winter project :D
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Holy Peanut Butter! That is a very nice looking bass!
  15. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    We don't have a custom pickguard available for a top-routed Dinky J, but the standard one kind of works. It gets a little close to the edge in the cutaway and the pinch of the waist. It doesn't look bad, just not up to our usual standards. Add $15 for the top rout on this body....