Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CzEkSpEc, Sep 24, 2002.

1. CzEkSpEc

CzEkSpEc

Sep 20, 2002
    Anybody own one? I'm thinking about buying a jazz bass with a P-Bass quarter-pound in front and a single coil jazz at the bridge. Comments? Suggestions?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Warmoth basses are great basses. I've owned a few & currently own 3. The only downside that I've encountered with Warmoth parts is that they tend to be HEAVY!!!!! If the bass is built properly, you will have a KILLER BASS!!!!!

Good Luck.
    Nino

3. CzEkSpEc

CzEkSpEc

Sep 20, 2002
    You think I should go passive or active? I've been thinking passive, just to get that more retro sound and not have as much hassle. (besides, I already have a few active basses..)

4. heavy just doesn't fit, its more like holding a boulder with a strap supporting it around your neck. i made a musicman out with warmoth parts, get a body routed with a mm pickup and the body being in the shape of the stingray, get the pickup, got the preamp, got the ernieball neckplate and a musicman like neck made by warmoth and put a decal on it that said ernie ball music man and the thing was heavier than a boulder. im dead serious it was heavy so i sold it, i just can thave that much wieght on my neck

5. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Yes, our necks are heavy, but we now offer the option of drilling for GB7/Ultralite tuning machines, and we have a couple of hollow bodies in the works. I just put together a prototype with a contoured, chambered J-body that weighs 7 1/2 lbs complete!

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    How about a picture?

How did the chambered body affect the tone? I've played a few basses that had chambered bodys & the tone was GREAT.

How much for a Chambered J body w/a solid finish?

7. The anticipation! The anticipation!

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Well, not much to show in a picture - it looks like a Jbass! The chambers are honey-comb style all through the wings of the body and a solid top hides them, so it looks completely "stock". I'll see if I can post a picture of a body before the top goes on tomorrow....

I've only played the alder prototype acoustically so far - I should have it wired up in a day or two. Sounds great unplugged - more lively and open but not "hollow", if that makes sense.

The bodies are $15 more than the standard laminate-top price for a Jbass, so alder would start at $240. Solid color finishes are $165 on top of that.

We have a couple lurking in the Thrift Shop right now...

[​IMG]
    Thrift Shop Body B331

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is the hollow option available on your P-basses too?
    Sounds like a great idea.

10. CzEkSpEc

CzEkSpEc

Sep 20, 2002
    How heavy ARE the standard j-basses? I mean, are they heavy like my 5-string SOLID MAPLE Spector? Or just heavier than the standard Fender?

11. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I just completed a gecko-5 project and got a new body for my warmoth jazz-5. I'm very happy with the results - here's some detail:
    The gecko is a korina body with a burl maple top, wenge/wenge neck. PUs are bart soaps with a bart pre. Controls are just like an MTD, i.e. bass, treble, mid with three-way mini toggle for 250/500/1000 Hz, PU blend, and volume, with an additional mini-toggle for switching between outer coils, inner coils, and all coils. Outer coils give me a jazzish sound (with the bart signature) with a lot of fundamental, the inner coils give more bottom and more top with more accentuated overtones (good ballad sounds), and all coils is super-cutting and full.
    I've been so happy with the gecko that I'm using it for gigs while I work on the neck finish on my MTD. I was reluctant to even temporarily take the MTD out of circulation before.
    The jazz-5 has SD basslines soaps with a U-retro pre, the body is ash, neck is birdseye maple with an ebony board. I also have a fretless neck same woods. The original jazz body I got with the standard PU placement had too much low end. I noticed the close-to-the-bridge placement in the pics of the Sadowsky 24F-5 and I ordered a body with the neck PU shifted a full PU width toward the bridge. Just what the doctor ordered! I have a friend who just heard the basses and wants to build a warmoth now. Maybe a warmoth endorsement is in the cards :D
    Gantt

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    YES!!! A few I built was 10+ pounds.

13. As long as they are well balanced, heavy basses are better IMO as long as you have an adequately wide strap.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Why is that?

15. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Nino,
    I sent you an email about the Sadowsky I have on order. Did you ever get it?
    Gantt

16. because i like 'em that way?

Well, they tend to be more stable when hanging from a strap compared with a light bass and I like that, plus most sound better

17. CzEkSpEc

CzEkSpEc

Sep 20, 2002
    Hmmm, a four-string as heavy as my big ol' neck-thru 5, eh? That's pretty damn heavy if you ask me. I'll have to think more on that. I HAVE noticed that most heavy basses I've played have better tone than other, cheaper fly-weights.

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The only thing a well built heavy bass has over a well built light weight is the ability to hurt your back. :)

19. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I agree with Nino, but if you like heavy basses I have a solid maple 6 string.....

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

this is something i've been really curious about: how does your gecko compare to your 535? i'm guessing you used as close to the MTD electronics as you could - so how much of a difference in sound is there? i'm sure there are differences in playability, neck shape, etc but is the warmoth close enough to the MTD that a perfect fretjob would make it almost as good?

i've just always seen the gecko as the warmoth MTD, and now you can set me straight or not :D