Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by citizen, Jun 23, 2003.

1. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    Hi men, i am looking for 3 different basses(4,5 and 6 strings), and i d like very professionnal ones.

Do the owners of warmoth ones (in this forum) are satisfied?

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I have an old Warmoth 6 string, which I understand, was not really sold as a 6 string, but as a 5 string that was wide enough for 6 strings. Therefore, before I got it someone else had replaced or cut the nut for 6 strings, etc.

It was pretty trashed when I got it and I had to do a complete restoration plus some repairs on it (seperate thread here on that one... or you can see it on my site at http://www.basskahuna.com/luthier/repairs/warmoth_6.shtml)

Anyway, I'm very happy with the bass. It is a jazz bass style body. It is alder with a quilted top (not really very much quilt, but then again I don't know what grade of quilt the original owner paid for).

The neck is very nicely made and the action is great on it. Basically, it sounds like a fender (I have a `71 p-bass to compare it to).

Of note: The Kahler bridge that Warmoth offers as one of their bridge options is, in my humble opinion, a VERY poor design. The bridge saddles are also the string anchors. What that means is that in order to adjust the intonation, you have to completely de-tune the string, loosen two allen keys, MANUALLY move the bridge piece for that string (no screw adjustment, just "eyeball" it), tighten the two screws back down, tune the string back up and check it again. If the intonation is still off you have to repeat the whole process. YECHHHH!

:^)~