Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth: Best choice for $1000 custom?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iualum, Jun 13, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Maybe it's the only choice? Any other manufacturers / assemblers I should look into? Seems like I'd get a better instrument going this way than buying a comparably priced off-the-shelf bass. Agree / disagree? Thanks

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with you, Warmoth does offer a lot of 'bang for the buck'. If you're experienced with all the sound qualities that Warmoth offers wood-wise and you feel confident with putting everything together, you're in good shape. If not, and you're looking for a cool Fender-ish axe, I'd check with Nino Brown. Judging from the photos, he's doing some incredible work.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thanks Authur. :)

If you're good with wood working skills & soildering skills, you shouldn't have a problem building a bass for about (maybe alittle over) $1000.

I've been told I build a nice bass using Warmoth bodies & necks. Check some out here:
    http://www.warmoth.com/Gallery/feature/ninovalenti.htm

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I can vouch for Nino's abilities.

I own a Valenti he built from Warmoth parts and have another on the way.

He does a great job putting them together and they come out great.

His prices kick majot butt too. Not much more than what the parts cost.

Go here to see what he's doing for my new one.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130645

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    No prob Nino, you deserve the praise. Great looking, quality instruments. I just looked at your price & options list, very reasonably priced too.

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Nino, what kinds of frustration do you encounter, if any,
    with the Warmoth parts?

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I've enjoyed both of my Carvins.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Most of them were frustrations I put upon myself such as tightening neck & tuning key screws too much & snapping the heads off, drilling thru the headstock. :crying:

On a few occasions, the necks were slightly too big for the neck pocket. The Red Jazz bass that I currently own & the Trans Blue P bass that I'm building. Nothing a rotary rasp bit on a drill press along with 5 minutes didn't solve.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You're doing a trans blue p? Weird, the dinky J, PJ i'm building is trans blue! :hyper: