Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth bodies: Ideal weight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Any body got any opinions as to what the ideal weight of a body is before you start building? I'm looking at building another one. The first 2 came out kinda heavy; no doubt due to the neck weight. Now I have some USA Custom necks which are very light (before finish) by comparison. I would like for the body to end up some where around 8.5 pounds?

So who has opinions?

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I remmber them advertising chambered bodies. That would cut down on wieght.

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Stay under 5 lb then your total weight should be under 9 lb, but if you use Hipshot tuners, and get one of those once piece pick guards, so there is no metal control plate, the weight will drop by about 1/2 lb. If you're buying an unfinished body, I would assemble everything to se how it balances, then if its too heavy I would just sand it a little to shave off 1/2 lb, then check the weight again, repeat the process till it's almost neck heavy. Before that tape something to the headstock so its slightly heavier then it should be, after you balance it out with sanding, take off that weight from the headstock, and you should have a perfectly balanced bass and not heavy as well. But it's all in the neck weight, if the neck is more then 2 lb without tuners, then it will be hard to get a balanced bass under 9 lb.

Cheers

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Chambered body i think would work. The diffrence in the weight of the 2 necks is Warmoth uses steel reinforcments and USA Custom uses graphite, steel weighs more.

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    All good ideas. I do agree. The thing with warmoth is that the necks always weigh a ton. The USA neck feels to be under 1 lb before finishing. I think a 5 lb body (rear routed) with the USA neck should do the trick (although they have a 7lb5oz body I love; but that will probably put me over 10lbs after all said and done).

6. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Ever use a chambered body? I hear sadowsky is using them now (was that you who said it? I cant remember). I know you're heavily into sadowsky. I always notice that their body weight is in the mid 8lb range. There must be something to it!

7. MAJOR METAL

Yeah their really great, i love putting my ear up to a chambered bass whille playing a few notes it just sings in their and on a Sadowsky its an Opera.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Doesn't it give more of an Upright or sound, because of the chambers inside it?

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Did one a little over a year ago. Gonna have to be as close to 4lbs as possible. My Sadowsky 5 is 8.25lbs. Roger started with a 3.5lb body

Rob

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you want the bass to be in the 8.5 lb range, the body should be about 4 lbs. I'd recommend HipShot UltraLites gear. They make them with the 1/2" tuning posts that fit standard Fender peghead holes or the smaller ones similar to the Gotoh GB7's. I don't know what's reemed onto your headstock

11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Rob, was that body 3.5lbs before the finish was put on or after? thanks.
    (PS...I think I once bought a Spector from you on Ebay)

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I think that is the weight before any finish is applied. I remember him telling me he had a couple 3.5lb bodies that would work for me

Rob

13. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    set up for BML. I already have a bunch of Schaller tuners that I'll probably use.

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Do I understand that you're going to get the body from Warmoth and the neck from USACG? I'd get them both from USACG. Call Tommy and tell him what you want. Good guy to work with.

15. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yes, mostly correct. I already have the necks from Tommy and he is a good guy. The thing with warmoth is, they are already painted. With Tommy, I gotta send them to Roxy. Do you think that there's a difference as far as the body goes? Like I said before, warmoth necks weigh a ton and a half. I also like the fact though that if something pops up in the Warmoth showcase, I can see the finish before buying. But, i would like to work with Tommy.

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I just kind of like the idea of getting both pieces from the same place. That way I KNOW the neck and neck pocket are more likely to match. Maybe I'm wrong, just my opinion.

Depending on what sort of finish you want, you may be able to do it yourself and save mucho bucks. If you can live with a natural finish, you can fine LOTS of info on the "Luthier's Corner" on this forum. Lots of easy wipe-on finishes like Tru-oil, Watco and (I think) Mini-wax for instance. Do some searches there.

17. MAJOR METAL

No because it it not completely hollow, it just makes the bass sound lighter and a littel more acoustical.