1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warmoth build advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by casio, Mar 21, 2009.

1. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Hey guys!
    I'm planning on ordering parts to build my own bass next week from warmoth and have come to certain conclusions, so I wanted some opinions on the ones already made and where to go from there.
    So, I'm planning on geting the Custom T bass body with a P/J setup, stick in a couple basslines and keep it passive, it will have a 24 fret Jazz neck, and my only question would be concerning finish!
    The bass should be Ash body/Maple neck and fretboard, and I dont plan on keeping it clear, so let me know what you think!
    Flake?sparkle?burst? any opinions would be cool!

2. If I were getting a Warmoth body I'd get it in either Dragon Burst, Caribbean Burst or green. Those are my favs of their colors.

3. I really don't mean to rain on your parade, but that bass will almost certainly be neck-dive city. If you are married to the T style body, I'd recommend a neck from USACG-they're much lighter. And I'd go with Hipshot ultralight tuners.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I start foaming at the mouth if vintage colors or sparkly finishes are options.

Dare to be different. Go sparkle.

5. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    thanks a lot for the advice. I didnt consider that at all to be honest, but I will think about the option!

6. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    my favs at the moment are actualy silver and apricot flake! :D

7. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    You considered wrong, my friend...:ninja:

Mmmmm. Apricot. *Insert drooling smiley that should really exist if there's an atoz smiley*

8. Is this a Hard Ash body, or a Swamp Ash body?

Swamp Ash is lightweight, but Hard Ash is VERY heavy.

Personally, i would go for something transparent to show of the Ash. Transparent blue or red maybe?

+1 to the Hipshot Ultralites. I put them on my new Warmoth, and they are great.
    A HUGE -1 to USAGC though. Stick to Warmoth.

9. Metallic Firemist Gold maybe?

10. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    the firemist is tempting.
    I was planning swamp ash. How much would going for the classic 21 fret neck help with having less neck dive?
    the ulralites were my plan from the start anyway!

11. The 21 fret and 24 fret necks are exactly the same...
    With the 24 fret, they put an extension on the end of the fretboard, which allows you to get all 24 frets on the board.

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Necks/Bass202124FretBoards.aspx

12. not at all.

are you going with the tele style headstock? cuz you should.

13. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

+1 on the USACG Neck. I prefer the profile of mine to the Warmoths I've owned.

14. Regarding the T body shape for a bass, and neck dive. One thing you can do to help that is change where the strap button goes on the butt end of the guitar.

Look at where G&L locates their strap buttons.

BTW: I recently built a T bass, using USACG body & neck, P/J configuration. I did a solid black nitro finish, and I am quite happy with my results.

edg

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1. Plus with USACG you get more options with the neck thickness.

16. If you look at Warmoth's site, a custom T style body is a Telecaster style body, not a Thunderbird body, if that's why you guys keep mentioning neck dive.

17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1 on the USACG neck and I'd go with a Buterscotch Blond finish on the body with a black bakelite pickguard for that vintage look.
    The upper horn on the tele falls short of the 12th fret IIRC(typical point at which the bass is roughly balanced if you have the neck strap on the upper horn). Lots of folks seem to think the Warmoth necks are heavy. I have two of them (both 5 string) and don't think they are much heavier than a USACG neck but I did use Hipshot ultra lite tuners. I like the USACG neck because of all the available profile and size options. Either company makes great necks and bodies.

18. Care to explain?

19. USACG is not licensed by Fender, so they don't offer the traditional headstock shapes the way Warmoth does.
    (Personally, i can't stand to have any Fender-ish instrument with a modified headstock. It just looks like a cheap copy to me.)

Secondly, I guess it's not a problem with this build because he wants a maple neck, but USACG only offers Maple and Mahogany necks, unless you supplied wood yourself.

If this is not an issue for you, go for it.
    But personally, i can't deal with USACG.

20. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    No, I certanily plan to go with the warmoth neck in the end, so the discussion is kind of unnecessary!:D
    I have the same opinion as Line6man and want a traditional type headstock bedcause I am going for a traditional feel of bass, just with a slight twist :D