Warmoth build - Jazz 5 - walnut body, wenge top & neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ren1, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Ren1

Ren1

May 25, 2014
    This post is to share the final product with other prospective builders. I've gotten a lot of ideas and knowledge from talkbass for builds, but I couldn't find many pics of a Warmoth with a wenge top.

Its a standard 5 string Jazz bass body and neck (not the deluxe, since I prefer symmetrical necks). If I'd known the walnut grain was going to be so nice I might have left the top off, but am really happy with the feel of the wenge top. The body was finished with 100% tung oil, the neck is unfinished. The nut is 1 7/8" and frets are 6130. One other note to anyone considering using these woods for your build: this bass is pretty heavy.

The bridge is a Gotoh 205B-5, which has 18mm spacing and a classic look. It's an awesome bridge, but does not match any of Warmoth's standard drill patterns. Warmoth officially recommends against anything more than 17.5mm for these necks, but I found 18 to leave enough of space on both sides of the fret board. I think 19 would be too wide. The electronics are all passive - Nordstrand big splits with series/parallel option. They sound awesome in series. The knobs are these: https://www.basspartsresource.com/images/large/K-HIFI-B.jpg

The grand total of the build was 1350, which is 150 less than a 5 string Fender American Standard. To anyone considering an American Fender - build a Warmoth! You'll get twice the bass for less.

20160403_143216.jpg 20160403_143247.jpg 20160403_143338.jpg 20160403_143329.jpg

2. Awesome!

3. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    what a beauty!

thank you for picking the modern Y style tuners. the clover leaf tunes (broccoli, Hemorrhoid looking thing) are vile.

4. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    nice

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    +1.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021