1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Build or Squier Mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheOriginalName, Nov 5, 2018.

1. TheOriginalName

TheOriginalName

May 28, 2018
    Hey Talkbass,

I wanted to ask the pros and cons of doing a warmoth build over a squier modification. I’m considering both and many others for my next bass, and I wanted to ask for your opinions. The build would be a P bass, with a music man, P, or J in the bridge, and a mudbucker in the neck. Gold hardware on black or black hardware on natural, the former being inspired by the Japanese Midnight 60’s P Bass.

Now, for your part, which route do you think would be best to go down? Feel free to suggest any other alternatives. The Squier in question would be the Classic Vibe 50s Precision or the Squier Classic Vibe 70s Precision.

While I’m open to getting a Fender MIM, it seems cheaper to do a warmoth/squier build.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I haven’t done a full Warmoth build, but I recently got a Warmoth Standard J5 fretless neck...for my Squier Jazz V body:

FA39776A-5044-4D5E-A40F-3101D115489B.

The overall construction of the neck blew me away. It wasn’t cheap, either...$340 shipped. I used my old Squier tuning machines and bought the HipShot string retainers; another $22 or so.
    I’d like to get an Ash body from them, but that would cost around $450 where this Squier body was $180. As you can see, the Squier body is made from 3 pieces of wood that are not matched together all that well.
    I also replaced the bridge, pickups and electronics.
    Working with a Squier would be cheaper, but the build quality of Warmoth components is equal or better than USA Fender stuff.
    Warmoth stuff is very customizable, Squier guitars are already assembled in a cookie-cutter fashion, where making mods you want may be difficult to do elegantly.
    It all depends on the thickness of your wallet and how much inferior parts you can handle...

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There's a seller on reverb/eBay called The STRATosphere that parts off various Fender bodies, necks, etc, so I'd recommend going that route for some pieces. Also, don't be afraid to look at other necks from All Parts, USA Custom, etc. Warmoth necks are highly customizable, but they are pricey and tend to be heavy and chunky, IME.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    My Warmoth neck has a very thin profile, very happy with it.
    It is heavier than the original Squier neck, but that is because of the steel stiffening rods they put into them. You can also go with Graphite rods, which are about 6oz lighter than the steel, but also cost $60 more.
    I got the body from Stratosphere.