Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmoth.com p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonki, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Hi!

Im planning to make a warmoth.com p-bass. Im looking for a warm and deep tone, will a swamp ash body, maple neck and fretless wenge fingerboard fulfil my wish? If not, can somebody recommend another "combination" ?

thanks for all answers!

very best regards
    Jonki :bassist:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think rosewood would do you a little better for a warm tone. Maple generally tends to be bright.

3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    He said maple neck, not fingerboard. The wenge will probably give you more of a growl like a Warwick cause that's what they use. I haven't had much experience with swamp ash, but I know that many people like it. I know that most P-basses are alder which can sound warm and fuzzy if you have the right pickups and neck wood.

4. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    (thanks for answers so far) :)
    im planning to use EMG P set with 18v wiring.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, definately read that really quick. However, I found the EMG's to be rather not warm. Sure you could dial it in, but the passive growl of a Dimarzio is what I define as the perfect P-bass.

6. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    im not good to explain things, sorry. :( I have a sound sample of a EMG P pickup, and i liked the sound of it. Maybe i can call it more growly sound? :confused:

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I vote passive pickup too.
    Areo or Fralin are good passive pickups.
    Mahogany might be a good choice for body?
    Wenge fingerboard fretless will be nice.

8. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Mahogny is a very beautiful wood! It's not that expensive either. But you guys dont think the EMG P pups will do a good job? I really like the sound of it. Does Warmoth.com apply oil finishes on bodies?

9. I don't know hat you heard, but EMG pickups will not give you the sound you're after. They're far too bright. As a matter a fact, I think they're just about the brightest sounding pickups that I know of. Bartolini pickups may be more the sound you're looking for, (although I'm not completely sure since the only basses I've tried with Bartolinis were high end basses like Pedulla and Zon, where the pickups were specifically made for that company).

10. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Bartolini 8S P bass pickups sounds nice.

sounds execellent!

edit : were can i get these pickups from? (webshops etc)

11. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Try Guitarelectronics.com thats were I got my Bartilini swag, and in my opinion there were worth ever penny.

12. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what about the wiring of the bartolini 8s?
    (thanks again for the answers :smug: )

13. what companies use wenge for fretless fingerboards?
    I haven't heard of many companies using it (doesn't Warwick use ebony for fretless?)

would wenge be too porous in texture for fretless?

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wenge (Millettia laurentii): Wenge features black and chocolate brown stripes. It is usually quartersawn to yield straight grain – similar to Zebrawood, but black. It is only available as laminate tops.

http://www.warmoth.com/common/goodwood.htm

Warmoth dosen't offer Wenge as a Fretboard wood

15. This is entirely my opinion...FWIW

But I don't think mahogany is the best bass tonewood. I think it's great for guitars, like most Gibsons. But the basses that are made primarily of mahogany aren't exactly reknown for a "modern" bass sound. Think of the Gibson basses like the Thunderbird, EB-0, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3. They're great at what they do, but you will have a pretty good idea of what you're listening to.

I love Gibson basses, but they do have thier own sound; I attribute most of that to the mahogany. Just a guess.

16. Yeah, I think a fretless wenge fingerboard would feel pretty weird. I've never seen one before. I'm pretty sure Warwick uses ebony for their fretless basses.

17. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  18. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Just to share the combination of my recently completed warmoth P. These are the main components I picked.

P-Bass body, swamp ash, black gloss finish $255
    Fender Original 60's P-bass pickup
    Fender Original 250K pots
    Schaller BML Bass Tuners
    P-bass neck (Wenge/ebony) $242
    6150 Jumbo frets
    String Nuts, Fender Curved, Bone
    Schaller Strap Locks

19. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    so swamp ash body has a better bass tone than mahagony?

20. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I wouldn't say better, just different, its a bit more... I guess "crisper" sounding? Mahogany would make it a bit darker/muddier sounding.