Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmoth confessions....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Feb 21, 2006.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, i have managed to tee a couple of people off. you see, i have started to sell or trade this bass about 3 times now, and somehow, i have not been able to bring myself to it.. once i actually shipped it out and the guy returned it.
    call it divine intervention.
    so tonight, since it was a monday, and only one show, i took it in to play it. i warned the sound guys that there was going to be a different bass in the mix.. i used my little boss bass eq box to even out the signal from my usual, lower output F bass ( which i absolutely love ) by keeping the eq flat, but reducing the gain. i matched it pretty close. i monitor myself thru very good headphones. so, this bass kicked my butt so hard i had a smile the whole time i was playing! the tone was just killin' - clear as a bell and punchy as all. the j retro deluxe pre and Dimarzio ultra jazz combination is a winner for me, the block inlays made it easy to get around in the darker bandstand. I am so glad i still have this bass, it's got some magic going for it, that's for sure!
    just wanted to vent my excitement, i have a feeling it's going to get quite a bit more game time.
    [​IMG]

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Because of your bass there, I am having Nino Valenti build me a bass with an ash body and a dyed quilted maple top...the only difference is that mine will have an ebony board and a matching dyed/quilted headstock.

I know lust is a bad thing, but I have lusted over that bass since I first saw it.

I'm glad that you are placing it in the rotation.

Best to you,

Mark

3. you should invite me over to check it out once its done.
    your house looked nice.

:bag:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That is one SWEET bass!!!! I've done that a few times. Try to sell a bass, want to keep it, try to sell it.

We're like the same person in different time zones. :)

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love that bass. Adrian, I've almost PM'ed you on it a couple of times. Glad you've rediscovered it!

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Before i started making my own basses (don't anymore) i put together several warmoth basses and they all killed... I think it is a great way for someone to get started making basses.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Adrian Loves Jazz Basses ! Sounds Cool Keep Rockin ! :bassist:

8. My main 4 string is a Warmoth parts bass. It sounds terrific and is easily the best 4 stringer I've owned. I 've also got a real nice fretless Warmoth. Both have active Basslines pickups.

I can imagine how good yours sounds!

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Funny,
    I almost bought that bass about 2 months ago.
    I was ready to buy a new bass, and I thought about that one...
    I looked on your web site, and it was not listed anymore. I thought it's already been sold...

10. She's one hell of a beaut that's for sure! Glad to see that you're going to include it in your regular rotation. I'm sure the electronics absolutely kill live.

-ryan-

11. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets

12. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That bass just makes me go "WOW" everytime I see it. Glad you finally got her back in your hands, I bet it feels great.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    It was returned because the gentleman had a pretty accurate idea what he wanted and this wasn't it, it was his right to do so. Some guys just want a certain feel or tone in their head. Also, to be honest, after a few of us checked it out, we realized the original set of DiMarzio's seemed to have lower output on the a and d strings. ( I offered to replace them ) I cordially got a set of replacement pickups and these sound great.
    Also, just before i went in the hospital, i let a friend of mine borrow it to check it out for a couple of days. He wound up holding it for over a month ( well, i wasn't doing much bass playing in the hospital ) and i finally called him and asked for it back. He was lokking into buying it, then he told me he knew a guy who might want it. Everyone passed on it. Divine intervention , I tell you! because I checked out what they got instead, and i wouldn't trade. Recently i put it up as trade bait for a fretless, then i took it in to the show last night. It was all over, I'm keeping it! To tell you that it sounded every bit as good as my F would not be an exageration. My F neck is certainly faster, but this bass is perfect for the music of the show, it keeps me honest. If i was doing a jazz trio gig, soloing every couple of tunes, the F bass would be more fitting, but for supporting, fat, clean tone, this is awesome. The Hairspray show has a lot of 60's style music and some of it moves REAL fast , the Jazz like tone is perfect, and though I sit an play ( you guys gotta try a shaker under the seat sometime, a driver screwed on to the bottom that rumbles the seat when you play, it makes it feel like you are sitting on a stack of 18in cabs ) this bass is lighter than the F so my back was grateful , too.

14. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Yep, I was one of the almost-owners of that bass. It inspired me to start assembling a P that looks just like it. Glad you're puttin git to good use, Adrian!

15. Hey Adrian,
    A beaut for sure, does it have a growl like the F?

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    different growl. i wound up playing it with the eq flat and adjusting with the master tone knob ( some tunes have to have a little agressive edge and some need a mellower, rounder tone, that knob does it ( i also adjust with the tone knob on the F bass, leaving the eq set , except that i add a little bass )
    the F's growl like little else. I would never replace the F, they are 2 wonderfully different animals

17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Wow Adrian... you have to keep it now. I seriously almost took that off your hands a few months back.

I also know what you mean by basses coming back to you. I sold a Zon vinny about 8 months ago, only to start thinking about it recently. The guy who I sold it to was ready to part with it, so I took it back. I'm glad I did.

It's meant to be... it's just meant to be.

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    You should look into Michael Dolan shaving the neck for you. I did that to my deluxe 5 neck, and it's pretty close to my F neck profile now... shallow C. Makes an incredible difference.

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    the neck on the warmoth is chunkier, but it's completely glossed (a la Celinder ) and changing anything may change the mojo, also, it keeps me real not trying to fly around on the fretboard, it's not that kinda gig ;)

20. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    what do all the knobs and switches do???