1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth custom fretless inquiries

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matthew_84, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hey luthiers,

I live in Toronto, Canada, and I'm considering ordering a Warmoth body and neck and assembling the bass myself. My main concern right now is the neck. I'm looking into a Warmoth P bass styled unlined fretless ebony 4-string neck. I'd prefer the shaft wood to be either a naturally dark-reddish wood (like Padouk) or it can be maple and then the headstock and the back of the neck can be stained to a darker colour and then finished.

If I go with the Padouk neck, the Warmoth website says that it would not need a finish on it (because it is a very stiff wood), though they won't warranty it of warping because it doesn't have a hard finish on it. They also warn that because it's raw wood, over time, sweaty hands and other factors may cause warping.

Also, another option is to just buy it as an unfinished maple neck, and then I'll do the staining and finishing myself. But here they severely warn that raw maple necks are very succeptible to warping to the point where I'm even worried about getting it shipped from the States to here (could be several weeks) with it already being warped on arrival. And I'm not sure what their return policy would be if this were to happen.

I'm very curious as to what others may think of this, and if I have much to worry about with both options. I do believe that their craftsmanship is top-notch, but I'm not sure if they are being very upfront about the possible consequences just in case the very slim chance that something does warp.

EDIT TO ADD: their necks come with a standard truss rod, but you can add graphite rods for an additional cost. Would installing these help at all?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    We can comment until we're blue in the face - this is much more art than science. I would strongly suggest calling them directly and discussing your concerns. In my own experience, Warmoth has good customer service and will take time to answer your queries. Heck, Wylie may just see this thread and chime in directly...

3. Thanks Beej, that makes a lot of sense. I'm sending them an e-mail now.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Their necks come standard with steel stiffening rods, they are not all that heavy really.

I have a Warmoth neck on a bass I built that is padouk/ebony, it has no finish and I have had no problems. It will however darken over time, I think mine looks better now than it did when I got it, its not quite as orange.

5. Incorrect.
    There is indeed a 2 year warranty on all of the woods that do not require hard finishes. Only Maple, Mahogany, Black Korina, Walnut and a few others require a finish, and if you order them raw, they will have a stamp at the heel stating that a hard finish must be applied within 30 days for the warranty to apply. If your neck does not have the stamp, it should have a 2 year warranty.

I actually specifically emailed to ask if my Padauk neck would still be in warranty when they extended their coverage from one to two years. They told me it would still be covered, even though the original one year warranty had expired.