Warmoth custom or Treker (Bunker) bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Jun 1, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I am wondering which way to go on this. I could build up a Warmoth Custom with:
    Body: Walnut Jazz
    Neck: Rosewood with Ebony Board
    Pu's: Seymour Duncan J's (active) or passive Bartolini J's
    Bridge: Badass I
    and everything else that would be needed...
    This Treker Louis Johnson Custom which I've never heard of but looks pretty nice and sensible http://members6.clubphoto.com/craig515540/684223/guest.phtml

I'm not too familiar with either one of these but they both look like they could suit my needs. Thanks, Ryan

edit: or passive Bartolini J's
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm not too fond of the gouging in the top of the Bunker, custom dealie or no.
  3. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's about the only thing that makes me step back and say...what the heck is going on. If i get that one I'd strip off that paint job and refinish it in green stain with a good finish ( I would love to find Walnut under there and not have to finish it at all but I think it's Maple). If I did that I don't think the gouge would look as bad.
  4. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I personally decided to go the Warmoth "D-I-Y" route because I love my Warwicks(wenge necks) and I've always wanted a Fender J-bass. So I searched the thrift shop at Warmoth and came up with an alder body J w/a burl maple top for $180. I had them make a J wenge neck and ebony(for variety) fingerboard and standard Fender frets ($240). As I write, the 6th coat of rub on polyurethane is drying, after 3 coats of Minwax Bombay Mahogany stain. If you have the time to build one, do it. You'll know exactly what you want in it.