Warmoth Deluxe 5 Questions and Pic Requests

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Dec 14, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004

So im thinkinh about warmoths again!!

im thinking a Deluxe 5 jazz so im wondering can ye help me!! answer these questions??

1. Ash with a alpine white finsh and red tort guard... a maple neck and a ebony board... what will the sound be like??

2. what is ebony like in terms of tone??

3. Pickups im thinking just too jazzes?? any other suggestions??

4. 2 or 3 band eq?? I want it to sound fat to clean hi-fi

5. will i need to get the neck finished??

6. any body got a deluxe 5 that they'd like to post pics of please!! :help: :help: :help:

Cheers and have a good Christmas
  2. 1. I guess fairly bright, probably killer slap tone.

2. Supposed to be the brightest fingerboard wood (it's the hardest and it's not too oily).

3. I've got a J stack (Fender Noiseless) + MM (SD SMB-5A) in my twins (see below) with a rotary "mode" switch for:

A) J full, MM Series
    B) J full, MM parallel
    C) J split (top coil), MM split (bridge coil)

Option C is very close to a J/J. Very versatile pickup combo.

4. I have a SD 2-band pre with slap switch in one of them and the other one is passive. There are a couple of trim pots in the PCB to adjust the amount of bass boost / mid cut you get with the slap switch, which is very useful. I've never missed a midrange control. Ymmv.

5. You could leave it unfinished if you want to but generally maple should be finished.

6. My beloved twins. Both have alder bodies, pau ferro fingerboards, stainless steel frets, corian nuts and the pickup combinations described above. Strings-thru-body, Takeuchi TK5 bridge.

This one has a 5-piece maple/purpleheart neck, the active 2-band pre with bypass switch and Schaller BML Light tuners. The gorgeous top is figured walnut and the peghead laminate is flame koa (I took the second picture before installing the bypass switch and BML tuners):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This one has a maple neck, passive electronics (no tone control, just blend, volume and mode rotary switch), Gotoh tuners and quilted maple top finished in brown dye:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sick! Just gorgeous!
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Just Finished mine!!! Serial Number 1 ProtoType body. Gecko Body Design with a Fender Neck pocket.
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    With that configuration, your tone will be bright with very well defined upper harmonics. That is quite a nice combination of woods because the ash body has great mids and ebony is brite up top. I would suggest an oil finish on the back of the neck. It smooth and not sticky. Poly can be. I do love a gloss finish on the body of the bass. I have a very similar bass to the one you are planning on building.

As far as a preamp, three band gives you more options. Your hope is that the bass sounds great and doesn't need much in the way of eq. It's nice to have if you need it. I really like the Agular on-board preamps. Very hi-fidelity and snappy ala Marcus Miller. No vintage tones though. Also, Bartolini preamps are very nice. Lot's of choices. Keep doing your research. You'll find what you like! Good luck and post a pic of the finished bass.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ash and maple are my favorite combo-
    a j retro preamp is super flexible, a Sadowsky preamp is pretty legendary around these parts.
    Pickups are so much a matter of taste... These are Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, I would like to try some Nordstrand Jazz pups on a bass.
    i had this bass for sale, but i changed my mind, i like it so much.