1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Fret Wire

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mattpnolan, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I really love the fretwire used in my Bass Company JT-400JJ (http://www.thebasscompany.com/4-string-neck.htm). It is very low, and it makes it so much easier to play. I'm going to be putting together a bass from Warmoth parts. So, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what fretwire option from Warmoth is the closest to The Bass Company (http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=fret_size). It seems that the higher the number might mean the smallest/lowest fret wire, but I just want to make sure before I chose.

Thanks!

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Dunno, and I can't find any specs on TBC's "Dunlop 6550 fretwire."

I'll measure mine when i get home tonight.
    Oh, don't have any accurate calipers, guess I'll have to stop at Rockler on the way home. Darn. :D

3. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I would appreciate any info you can give me. I also couldn't find any info on the supposed Dunlop 6550 fret wire The Bass Company uses.

4. I'm guessing it's either custom or a typo. But of the available fretwire that warmoth has 6230 is what they say is the smallest. I got it in the neck I ordered, and it is tiny. It's very easy to play but when I got it, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "how soon am I going to wear out the frets on this?" Keep in mind, none of my basses have ever had enough fretwear to require a level or re-crown, and I still thought of that.

5. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the input. That actually helps a lot. 6230 is what I'm leaning towars. :)

6. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    I have the Dunlop catalog and there is no 6550. There's no 6500 series, period. The smallest series is the 6300 and that's the tiny stuff.

7. mattpnolan

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Craw. Maybe there was a typo on their site.

Even though we didn't figure it out exactly, what you guys posted helped give me an idea of what the Warmoth stuff is, at least.