1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Fretwork? Bolt and Play???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bobinverted, Sep 27, 2008.

1. bobinverted

bobinverted Banned

Jul 6, 2008
    Sorry Homos
    Sorry Homos
    How's the fretwork on Warmoth Necks?

I'm building a FrankenJazz and considering a Wenge Warmoth neck, but I'd hate to pay a lot for a neck and then have to pay for additional leveling.

Do they generally need additional fretwork? Or can you bolt on and be good to go?

2. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    They do not finish the fretwork. You will need to get that done on your own by a pro. They tell you that right there on their website. I have 2. Had them dressed professionally, and they're awesome.

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I've gotten 3 different necks from them and they were finished quite well. No need for any additional leveling.

That being said if you ever get the chance to have a neck pleked you will be ruined for life. It is truly amazing what it will do for any neck new or not.

4. fruity2x

fruity2x

Jul 9, 2008
    what is "pleked" that's something ive never heard of.

5. bobinverted

bobinverted Banned

Jul 6, 2008
    Sorry Homos
    Sorry Homos
    http://www.plek.com/

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Warmoth does a great job. You might need a final minor dressing. Their website says you do however, I did not need to do anything on my neck. It was perfect out of the box.

7. bobinverted

bobinverted Banned

Jul 6, 2008
    Sorry Homos
    Sorry Homos

Their website doesn't really answer anything, it just says that generally leveling is only necessary for very low action. That's why I asked for some real opinions.

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I've assembled a few guitars and basses using Warmoth parts. For the most part the frework is very good and I didn't have to level the frets, even for pretty low action, but I had one Tele in here this past week that needed the frets leveled, and they were stainless steel frets...

But even a brand new Fender can stand to have the frets leveled. They don't do it either.

9. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    Both of mine had some sharp edges. I say get 'em dressed anyway for the best possible situation.

10. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Mine (maple neck) came with poly over the frets. It took while to scrape it off, but after that it was ready to play.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's normal for finished fingerboards. When you level the frets that removes the finish.

12. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    That sounds like a lot of work...how much longer than a nickel and silver fretted neck did that take you?

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It's not too bad, but it would have been a lot faster if I had diamond fret files. I use 3 corner files for crowning instead of those crowning files most of the time. I think the crowning file would have taken a lot longer because the 3 corner file cuts faster.

I've thought of going to SS frets, but I still have several pounds of nickel silver left. I might try evo gold fret wire instead at some point.