Warmoth Gecko 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demens, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Hey, I posted this in the Luthiery Corner (since I built it), but just thought I would post a picture of it in here to see what you other guys thought about it.

I have a few more pictures if you want to see more, but this is just one.

Also, if you have any questions, shoot. The playability is better than any other 5 I have played in a music store. It is a great feeling bass.

Edit: Some more pictures :p
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh my god, that is beautiful. What kind of wood and whatnot?
  3. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    VERY SHARP! Nice work!
  4. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    The top is figured walnut, followed by a maple veneer, and then a walnut body. Neck is wenge/bubinga, with a wenge fingerboard.

It has two Bartolini P2 soapbars, as well as a Bartolini NTMB 4.6A/P preamp.

Any other questions?
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    That is SWEET looking bass. I bet it has the sweetest of sweet sounds too! Well done. Great choice of woods and electronics. It makes me want one again. What size is it if you know what I mean? As in, small, medium etc. My guess is: LARGE!
  6. Looks great!! I bet it sounds awesome as well.
    Good work
  7. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for all the compliments yall... Anyways, by size, I'm not sure what you mean. I can get virtually any tone out of this bass sound wise, it is a beast. Scale length is 35"... And Warmoth has the option of small or medium sized bodies and small/medium/large necks. I have a medium neck and body on it.
  8. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Awesome !! But where is the Gecko on the fretboard ?
    We might need to hear from the judges on this !
    Is it really a Gecko without the Gecko ? :eyebrow: :meh: :confused:
  9. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Haha. Well... it is the Gecko neck and Gecko body design... But yes, I had the Gecko removed... I plan on keeping this bass for a long while, and wasn't sure how a gecko on my fingerboard would hold up in my mind. It is awesome now, but when I age, I might get to where I wanted a clean fingerboard like the more traditional style basses.

Oh well, time will tell :p
  10. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    They left the Gecko off for you? I thought you couldn't get a Gecko neck without the lizard on it even if you wanted one.
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL

Warmoth has been offering to leave the lizard off for awhile now - I think it's a $35 option.

Demens, what's your thought on that bridge?
  12. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Looking on the Warmoth site last night, I added build a Geko onto my list of things to do before I die. Gourgeous bass, great work.
  13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Geckos can be really great basses. Warmoth's crafstmanship is absolutely top notch. I had a really nice fretless Gecko 5 for a while, tho I've since replaced it with something I like much better.

I'd just offer one piece of advice for someone considering building a new one (which includes me). You should plan on keeping it for a long time (just as this thread's creator says). This is because you'll take a serious beating on the used market if you try to sell one. The "build-it-yourself" tag is very costly to its value... yes, even if you have a well-known luthier do it for you (mainly 'cause that adds even more cost that could be much greater than the used value it'd typically add).

Oh, and +1 on the sweet bass! I bet that thing sounds and plays AWESOME!
  14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's one classy looking bass. I'm not usually a fan of gold hardware, but with the walnut/matching headstock it really gives it just a touch of "brightness" that's beautiful. The maple veneer was a great call as well.

Can you give us an idea of how the neck feels to you? I've always considered a custom Gecko for my "high-end" bass, and would like to get an idea on the thickness, how the asymmetrical profile feels, etc.

Congratulations! :D
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Great looking Bass! Love that top!
    I've got the same Bart p/u's and pre in my Gecko fretless and it really sings!
    Congrat's on a great job! :)
  16. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Hey, thanks for all of the great comments! Having researched tone woods and pickups and slowly finding something that I think would be my dream bass, then building it myself and having everyone say how beautiful it is really means a lot to me.

On to the questions:

I think the first one I read was about the inlay. Warmoth will let you remove the inlay for an additional $35.

The bridge is awesome. I really, really dig this bridge. It is a pain to set up initially, simply because you loosen the saddles, and slide each of them around (full movement, forwards/backwards/left/right) until the intonation is correct. But this is also good, because it lets you put your own string spacing and such. The string height is the best thing I love about the bridge, because on the saddle is a screw that the string runs through, and you can just raise or lower the screw to change the height you want. It took me under 5 minutes to change from a low string height to a little higher. Very very easy to use once you get it set up. Oh, and the string spacing (for a Medium Gecko neck) is perfect for slap as well as finger style or pick... typically I find it hard to slap on anything other than a 4, but this was easy on the Gecko.

As far as "how the neck feels"... I am in love with it. I have a wenge neck on it (unfinished, because I like the feel of the old Warwicks like that), and it feels wonderful. I have fairly small hands, but I am able to easily reach the B. I think it feels great, I'm not sure how to describe the neck cut on the bass, Warmoth has diagrams and sizes listed on their site here. After about 15 mins of playing the neck it felt totally natural to me, like I was still playing a 4. The neck is not awkward or anything to play on, probably the best 5 string neck I have played on; most others make me feel like they are too flat or too chunky for my liking.

Anyways, thanks again for all the comments! And keep on asking questions, and I will do my best to answer.

17. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I added some more pictures on the first thread (in thumbnail form) if anyone wanted to see a few more shots of it.

18. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Very cool. Whats the string spacing on that?
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Very Well Done!!
    I dig the clean fretboard, I'm all about that. Always hated gold hardware on basses(looks good on Gibson guitars and that's about it) but you've pulled it off quite well here. I'd like to commend you on your vision and foresight here. It's not as easy as it might seem(unless you've tried it)to plan a build like this and have it come together without any of the old,"I might have to change this...", or, "next time I'll use...". Even though it's just a matter of "putting the bass together" I see plenty of Warmoths that just don't "work" as well as this one does!!
    If I was employed @ Warmoth I'd make sure to give your bass some serious space on the website, besides the "gallery". You've done really well for them, and more importantly, for yourself!!
    (nice case also!!)
  20. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Absolutely stunning....Dang!