Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Gecko Fretless Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Sep 3, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I recently talked to Warmoth about these basses. I thought it would make a great fretless 5. My only concern was that having a large maple or pau ferro inlay on a ebony fretless fingerboard. I thought this would mess with the sound. I was especially concerned because it was around the 12th fret which is a critical area on a fretless, IMO.

So I asked if they would do a Striped ebony fb with a Gaboon ebony inlay. The rep said no because they manufacture the boards in batches. I thought this was kind of ridiculous since I never see a fretless neck in the 'in-stock' section.

Do you think this could be a problem? Any suggestions for a solution?

2. Did you talk to Brian He is the Gecko expert. My gecko fretted has a great Pao board with Ebony gecko and there is no and I mean NO surface difference between the inlay and the board.

When I got it I honestly thought the gecko was painted on.

Brian helped me out alot with the custom work on my gecko and it wouldn't be as great of bass as it is with out his efforts.

What about an ebony board with a maple gecko?

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure the inlay looks great and is set in well. It's just that on a fretless the fingerboard material has a lot to do with the tone. Much more so than on a fretted neck. Also, on a fretless, the maple will wear very differently than ebony. So my concern is that having a large maple inlay on an ebony fretless neck will be a problem.

I talked to a guy named Bob. He tried to be helpful, but it seemed like his hands were tied on everything.

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Hi!

Well, we don't make the Gecko inlays in maple, because it is too soft and would wear differently. Pau ferro is very similar in density and hardness to ebony as a fingerboard wood, which is why it's one of the woods we use in ebony boards. We also use boxwood and belee - same reason.

The fingerboards we use for the Gecko are exceptionally thick and wide, and we buy them special just for this purpose. That's why I don't have any striped ebony ones (we do find the occasional grey streaks, but it's not Macassar.)

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Thanks for the response Brian. So the light maple-like wood I see in the inlays is not maple. That makes sense.

Should I be concerned about a difference in tone and response between the ebony and the pau ferro?

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    It's a valid concern, and one we take seriously. The difference in sound when sliding over one of our inlays should be minor, and we do our best to choose inlays that will contrast well but sound and feel the same as the surrounding wood.

I'll let Gallient Knight address this, too... :)

By the way, I've probably got 30 - 40 stock Gecko necks on the shelf, we just don't show them all at the same time because they look pretty much the same! The "Available Stock" section does show particular pieces - when one sells we take a picture of a new one. Necks that are unfretted can always have the fretless lines added, but we don't get enough call for unlined fretless Gecko's to stock them in all sizes...

7. The density of the 2 woods on my fret board feel very close, and I can never tell when I am over the inlay by feel. Of course having a fretted neck changes things a little, but I was so impressed with my finished bass that I think you will love your to.

8. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Yes... I'd be concerned as well.

Brian, Have you got till today any order on a fretless fingerboard with either "sidelines" (lines only on the side of the neck, not on the fingerboard) or Ebony lines in Ebony fingerboard?
    OR even if you didn't have such orders, would you do it?

Rock On! :bassist:

9. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    We don't have a way to cut slots in the side of the fingerboard, although I have seen basses done that way. We can do black lines in ebony, but we don't think it's a good idea, and it would be non-returnable except for a defect. You'll really only be able to see them in the glare of a bright light off the fingerboad. Ebony in pau ferro, on the other hand, is much more practical. We have done that before and it looks pretty good, althoug subtle.

10. Just curious-
    would the use of a thin expoy coat over the fretboard resolve your different wood issues? it would also preserve the finger board.
    something to think about
    frank

11. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    I'm curious about that too... Do you coat the fingerboards (in addition to the neck finishes) with epoxy or polyurethane?

Sr. Gecko: Yes, that would be smart, or vice-versa » pau ferro on ebony fingerboard... nice :)
    ..but, won't they contrast with the light color of the lizard thing? It'd seem like the lizard is being chopped in pieces :D

12. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Epoxy or polyester coating might be a good idea after the fact, but we don't offer that here.

Well, the lizard gets chopped in pieces by the frets, normally. He's inlaid before the fingerboard is radiused and slotted, so it's just like one big solid wood fingerboard as far as the rest of productions is concerned.

Yes, pau ferro in ebony would be cool, if we had pau ferro veneer to fill the slots. Currently we only have black or maple veneers.