Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Gecko Fretless Under Construction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I traded my Roscoe fretless a couple months ago to get another Roscoe fretted. I really didn't play fretless enough to justify having the $$$'s tied up in the Roscoe. I decided to put together an economy Gecko fretless to take it's place. I received the lined fretless neck a couple of weeks ago and the Gecko body arrived the other day. The neck is quilted maple/bubunga/ebony with a quilted headstock and the body is quilted maple top with an Alder core. I'm using Bart M45C soap bars with a Bart 4.6 NTMB pre, Black ABM bridge and Black Gotho GB7 tuners. Here's a few pictures of the work in progress.............

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Here's a couple of more pic's......

3. That's gorgeous! Keep us posted.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    That's awesome... Gecko's are beautiful basses!

5. very nice... i love those things. can't wait till i have some extra cash to build one up.

6. I've got 2 Warmoth Jazz style basses and I've always wanted to try a Gecko. I had the Gecko on my 5 string gas list. Yours wll look great! Hope it sounds just as good.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! That looks beautiful.

I'd like a 4 string Gecko, though. :(

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks all! I sure hope it can produce the mwah! Hopefully the Bart pups and 3-band pre will make it happen. Love that Bart midrange! :)

Nino,
    I'm surprised that Warmoth hasn't offered a Gecko 4. I've heard quite a few TB'ers state that they would love a Gecko 4. I suppose it's quite a design project but it sure would offer them some $$$ potential.

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I still haven't got my one Gecko that I was wanting about 8 months ago, and now you have 2!!! I really like the walnut fretted one of yours. So how does the fretted go compared to the Roscoes?

10. Joe,
    You scored!! I love how that looks. If there was one drawback to the appearance for me, it was the birdseye cluster in the middle of the body. But with the pickup cavity routing, it looks much more elegant with the quilt dominating the appearance.

Nice looking maple neck too. How do you like the ebony board? Any observations?

Now, only 5,000 more coats of tung oil and you're ready! ;)

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Too early to tell. This weight of this Gecko is considerably less than my fretted walnut Gecko though. I'm not expecting it to fully live up to the Roscoe in sound and playability but if it turns out to be as good a fretless as my walnut Gecko is fretted I'll be real happy. I just installed the new wenge/bubinga/wenge neck on the walnut Gecko (the original neck had a back bow) and played it at a gig the other night. It really sounded great through the Thunderfunk and Berg. We covered quite a variety of tunes and I was able to cop all of the sounds I needed. The Aguilar OBP-3 really sounds good in that bass (the Demeter died :crying: ). IMO the Bart 3-band is one of the key factors to the Roscoe fretless sound so I went with the Bart 3-band.

John,
    I had Warmoth Jazz Deluxe 5 fretless with an Ebony finger board for about 7 years prior to the Roscoe and I really liked the sound and feel of it. Hopefully this one will be as good.
    You're also right about the 5,000 coats of tung oil! I use the polymerized tung oil though and it doesn't take as many coats (10-20 depending on wood type). It sure brings out the grain though! You could barely see the quilt in the body until I applied the tung oil sealer. The pictures of the body are with 2 coats of the sealer only. The finish coat should really bring out the quilt patterns! :)

I'll post pictures as it progresses and review when it's done and giged a few times.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I think Warmoth did a great job in fitting the quilt lamination. The figure orientation "burst" in the center makes it look almost as if the pickups are pushing outwards on the wood, or like it was a pool and the pups were just dropped in.

Very nice.

13. And I think they did an excellent job of squeezing that little lizard on your fingerboard too!! ;)

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    what a beautiful top, man I almost ordered a Gecko a while back....kinda makes me wish I did.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, was that quilt top an upgraded one?.

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    No, to my knowledge it's not an upgrade top. I actually bought the body off of the Warmoth Showcase section. The Showcase posted pic didn't really indicate the quality of the top. You could see the figured swirls in the center but the quilt looked somewhat average. Once the tung oil sealer hit the wood the quilt just jumped out. The attached pics were taken after the 2nd coat of sealer cured for 24 hours. The qulit seems to get deeper with every coat of oil. I also bought the neck from the Showcase section too. It stated that it had a quilt laminated head stock but I didn't know that the neck wood was quilted until it arrived.

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Gekco fretless is complete! :bassist:

Without a doubt the smoothest assembly yet. Not a single glitch the entire build. I did have to level the finger board after it arrived but that was primarily to take down the inlaid fret lines so that I couldn't feel them. The Bart pre and pickups definitely were a good choice. This bass really sounds a lot like my Roscoe fretless sounded. Lots of mwah!
    Total price?......................................$1,050

Considering the finished quality of the bass, I think it was a steal!

I attached a couple of pictures. The guys in the band at church named the walnut Gecko "Chocolate". With that in mind, I think I'll call the fretless "Vanilla"! :D

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Damn... that's a hot couple! :D

19. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's beautiful. I'd love to get a sixer just like that.

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Isnt it really annoying that they won't make a 4 string Gecko neck? I asked numerous times to no avail. I have an extra gecko body too, and I really don't want to build a 5 string.