Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth gripes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRU, Jun 25, 2002.

1. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Warmoth offers different back shapes for guitar necks but not for bass. Why is that? Do bass players settle for less? I'd like to have a meaty, symmetrical precision type neck, but they only offer the 'standard' asymmetrical shape for Deluxe5 Jazz.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, that IS exageratted...and besides, Warmoth is pretty good about doing just about anything for you...I think if you asked, they'd make a meatier neck for you. It'd cost a bit* more but it'd be worth it, I guess.

*I say a bit, because Warmoth charges just that. They are very resonable as far as custom orders go.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Assymmetrical necks are harder to make than symmetrical ones.

Maybe they chose the most popular option as standard to keep costs down.
    Then again, as Brendan said, if you want Warmoth to make you a neck to your specs, they'll do it. All you have to do is shell out the extra moolah...

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    USA Custom will do different profiles, and their necks aren't as heavy (graphite reinforcement instead of steel). I'm considering one instead of Warmoth.

5. I thought the major selling point of a Warmoth neck is the steel rods and no dead spots. I also like the angled peg head, but that is a secondary importance to me.

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I have a bad habbit to exaggerate things. It sort of keeps life intresting. :)

I did already ask Warmoth about the custom neck shapes and the answer was: "We don't offer different back shapes for bass necks." Maybe I'll ask again and flash some cash. I guess it will require new CNC program so it may not be an easy job. They, however do provide 7 different guitar neck shapes for no extra cost.

Is it just me or is asymmetrical neck shape the worst idea in bassbuilding in the last decade? I hate it.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My biggest problem is that they wont do speacial inlays.

I tried to order mine iwth star inlays, but they said that special inlay options were only available in guitars.

I think it has more to do with what they are set up to do than their opinions of what bassist demand.

Its no biggie.

Peace
    Nick

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Errr....no, it's not the worst idea in bassbuilding, and it's been around much longer than just a decade: Try the mid-to-late 70's, when Mike Tobias first started making basses. Oh, and if you get your thumb behind the neck where it belongs instead of wrapped over the top you'll understand what a wonderful idea it is.

;)

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Agreed, Gard. Great way to get a fast but stable neck.

10. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Sorry to pull you down, but I don't keep my thumb wrapped over the top. I like to keep it exactly at the thickest part of the neck and then when you have asymmetrical shape... get the idea? ;) Its just awkward.

Another bugger is thin necks, like the one on MTD Kingston. I have long fingers so it feels best to have about 2 inches of neck between my thumb and other fingers just to have a relaxed position. The thinner the neck is, the more cramped my left hand position becomes.

Sorry guys, just letting some air out.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You care to tell us what bass has a neck that's two inches thick?!?

12. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe

Nah, thats my own little secret ;)
    To tell you the truth, I have never measured a single neck and I made that up for demonstrational purposes. (If you saw what I wrote about exaggerating things...)

Warwicks are close to my liking, though the shape is not ideal. The best neck that I've had in my hands was on a Neuser Courage.
    http://www.neuserbasses.com/courage.html

13. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Oh, BTW I got answer from Warmoth. It might be possible to get a full custom neck shape, but it would need to be done by Ken Warmoth himself by hand. I guess the standard shape will do just fine, I'm not _that_ picky. Really, I'm not! ;)

But just the idea of a two inch thick neck...

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    ...makes my arm hurt from my fingertips to my shoulder. :D

15. Originally posted by TRU

But just the idea of a two inch thick neck...

Reminds me of the neck on the old Fender Jeff Beck Stratocaster.

Take a P bass neck and scale it down with the same dimensions and you are in the ballpark.

Huge neck.