Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Hollow(actually Chambered)Body Jazz vs. Solid

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iualum, Jul 17, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Gonna let Nino build my Jazz. It'll have 2 EMG CS Actives, OBP-3, Bad Ass Bridge, & Hip Shot Ultra Lights.

What do you fellas(& SOME gals)think about me trying the Warmoth Chambered/Hollow? Mistake? Just stick w/Solid? Opinions on Attack/Sustain? Maybe differences would be minimized by it being Chambered rather than truly Hollow, & by factoring in the actives/pre/bridge?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask. 'preciate it.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Mods, can I request that this thread be moved to the Luthier's Corner?

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Mods?

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Try it out.. Talk to Nino.. Don't post until you get it constructed (with pictures!)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never tried a Warmoth Chambered body but I have tried a few Sadowsky's.

The Sadowsky sound & feel great. Nice weight reduction & the sound, IMO, is as good as the solid bodies. I didn't really notice any sonic difference that left a lasting impression.

If you deceide to go with the Chambered body, the Valenti bass that you're going to have built is going, according to Warmoth, will balance very nicely since you're getting the HipShot Ultra Lite Tuning Keys.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Brian at Warmoth told me the basses dont sound like a hollow body but a bass made from lighter wood.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have also heard they are louder acousticaly with the chambered bodys.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've tried many chambered Sadowsky basses. Didnt know the difference until I was told!! Go for it. Nino is very meticulous and will build you a great player

Rob

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Will warmoth make a chambered 5er?

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    To the best of my knowledge, they only offer it on the Full Sized Jazz 4 string body.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a bass made with Warmoth's hollow J body. I really can't tell the difference in sound between it and a solid body. It is much lighter though. I had Warmoth make one out of mahogany with a flame maple top and despite the heavy wood choice, the entire bass still only weighs 9 lbs.

The entire bass is an interesting collection of woods. The body is mahogany with a flame maple top. The neck is a 5 piece neck of maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple. The fingerboard is rosewood. The pups are a Duncan alnico MM pup in the bridge position and a Duncan hot jazz in the neck position.

The overall sound varies depending on the blending of the pups. The bridge pup has a substantial growl to it. The neck pup is smooth and deep. I can get a wide variety of sounds from this bass. You like fingerstyle or slap? This bass does it.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moved to Luthier's corner, per the original poster's request.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    All right...Sold. You only go around once, huh?

I had already spoken with Nino prior to this post. He'd indicated the same thing he says here. Of course I respect his opinion. I just wanted to see if I could get a bit extra input before giving the green light, that's all.

Thanks to everyone.

Nino, could you please post a few photos along the way & then also when complete? I'm VERY excited, both about the bass itself & the fact that it'll be a Valenti. Thanks Nino.

14. To get back to the original question (rather than another worship thread) - I've built 2 "chambered" basses - 1 Jazz and 1 my own design. Compared to the Warmoth version, these would have to be classified as "hollow" unlike Warmoths slotted style. The idea was simply for weight reduction. There is literally not enough difference in the sonic qualities of a chambered solidbody to order it for that purpose. Don't let anyone tell you different. You'll really appreciate the weight reduction. My Walnut/Ash Jazz body comes in a 2.4 lbs. The whole bass comes in at 7 lbs. 15 oz. For me, that's like carrying a sack of marshmallows on my shoulder! I think my method takes out more material than the Warmoth but the Warmoth method allows more completely formed forearm and belly contours - their specialty.

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Ummm. Where did it go off topic? Cause he's asking me to take progress pics? :scowl: