1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth/Hoyt MM/J jazz bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by xyllion, Feb 28, 2008.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm selling basses to collect enough money to buy a brand new Karl Hoyt custom. So, unfortunately this beauty has to be sold.

I had this body custom made by Warmoth. It is mahogany with a flame maple top dyed with their tigers-eye dye. The body style is the Warmoth hollow-J which is jazz bass body that has some of the wood removed from the interior. The overall result is a jazz bass that weighs less than the typical jazz of the same wood.

The neck was custom built and fitted to this bass by luthier Karl Hoyt. It is a 5-piece neck. I don't remember the woods, but it is a great feeling neck. Karl even put a matching headstock on it. He did an amazing job of matching the dye.

The bridge pickup is a Duncan MM pickup and the neck pickup is a Duncan J pickup. A coil tap switch is wired to the MM pickup to change coil configuration for different sounds.

This bass is equipped with an East U-Retro preamp. These preamps sell new for over $300. Controls are volume, blend, treble, bass, mid, and mid frequency. The sweeping mid frequency knob is a unique aspect of the U-Retro preamp making it extremely versatile.

The sound of this bass is incredible. The Duncan pickups have an aggresive sound while the wood is naturally warm. With the U-Retro preamp, you can dial-in a great number of different sounds from this bass. If I didn't have another Hoyt on the way, I wouldn't part with this one because it covers a wide range of styles.

Case shown in the pictures is not included. I will ship in a gig bag. I'd like $700 shipped in the US. If you add up the cost of the parts on this one, that is a bargain. The U-Retro alone is worth over $200.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    Wow, nice bass. Someone's gonna get a great deal here.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, Hoyt necks are SWEET! I used to have a Karl Hoyt, and I miss it!

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    To answer the common questions:

- The neck is 1.5" wide at the nut.
    - There is no issue with neck dive. The 2+2 headstock with ultralight tuners balance very nicely with the body.
    - The bass weighs 9.0 lbs on my bathroom scale.
    - It is a single action truss rod.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm so impressed with Karl's skills that I own 2 6-string Hoyt basses and I have a 5-string on order. In fact, the money from this sale will help to purchase the 5-string.

When I first purchased the body, I was going to put a Moses neck on it, but that turned out to be more work than I was willing to do. So, I instead sent the body to Karl where he custom built the neck for the body. So, this body and neck have been together since the beginning. No other neck was ever mounted on this body. As I said before, I really like Karl's work. I wouldn't sell this except that I'm getting another bass from Karl and have to pay for it.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    The gig bag for this one is a really nice Levy's gig bag in excellent condition.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Attached is a sound bite from this instrument.

8. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That is one sweet looking bass. And I'm sure you get this all the time, but if I had the money, I'd buy it. East Pre, Duncans, awsome hardware, amazing looking... sounds like my perfect bass.

But alas, I can only bump. Good luck though!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have two Hoyt "mongrels" (as Karl described them). I love the necks and hope to have a more traditional Hoyt some day.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Price reduced to $700 shipped in the US.

11. sounds really nice!
    Sry have'nt got any answer from my friend.

12. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bump for another beautiful custom built by our old TBL pal Lark Hoty!

13. Digging this.

14. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    nice

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    So...this thread has been in hibernation for almost a year. Bob, is the bass still available? And...did you receive the 5 string fretless?

Thanks!

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    This bass was sold. I received the 5-string fretless and just recently sold it. I now have a 5-string fretless acoustic bass guitar on order with Karl.