1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth Ideas/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ely, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Ok, I recently had an idea to build a Warmoth custom bass. I have the basic idea, but I want some suggestions, tips, and methods on how to do it.

Here's my idea so far:

-Black Korina Body (It looks good, I hear it sounds and feels good)
    -Oil or Natural Satin finish?
    -Rear Routed (But I still want a Control plate and Pickguard, its just that the Rear Rout gives me more room inside the bass to put things)
    -Quartersawn (How much extra does that cost?) Maple Neck with a Pau Ferro fretboard, or Wenge/Bubinga with an Ebony fretboard? The Wenge/Bubinga would be more expensive but not too bad.
    -What about a Moses neck? I like the feel of graphite, and the price would be about the same as the Wenge/Bubinga neck.
    -Clear Satin neck finish or if I got the Wenge/Bubinga would it be a good idea to leave it unfinished? I live in a very humid area, so I'm wondering if I should get it finished by warmoth, or finish it myself (How? What would I finish it with?)
    -Gotoh 206 Bridge, strings routed through the body
    -Schaller Tuners
    -Graphtek Nut
    -one of those Bar string retainers that hold all the strings down just behind the nut
    -EMG J-Set, I know you can order these with pots/knobs, but does it come with an output jack? Can I get them to send me a Vol/Blend/Tone setup instead of Vol/Vol/Tone?
    -Aguilar OBP-1 Preamp, I'll probably get this last, like a few months AFTER I make the bass, does this come with a jack, pots, and knobs or is it just a thing you hook up to your existing stuff?
    -Battery Box
    -Black Hardware, except for the j-bass control plate, which will be chrome, and a Black Pearl j-bass pickguard

Any suggestions? What about tung-oiling the body, how much is tung oil and how long would it take? Any tips on how to build the bass? Any parts that I don't need (ie. do I really need a Neck Plate, or do I need one of those Football Jack plates at all? I hope not...) I MIGHT decide against the PG/Control plate, I just don't like the look of a pickguardless fender body shape.

2. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    Oh yeah, I forgot

Schaller Straplocks

and I might consider Dimarzio Model Js instead of EMGs...

3. =^..^=

=^..^= Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    The EMG's I got all came with a vol pot, a tone pot and an output jack.

The easiest way to sort a blend pot is to get a stacked pot - compared with the amount your spending it will be small change (under $10 ?) and its easy enough to wire up.

The rest of your shopping list sounds sweet. Warmoth finishes are very nice - I got an antique satin on mine. Top job !

4. Everything sounds fine but since you aren't building a strictly Warmoth bass (Moses, Aquilar etc.) you should really consider the J-Retro preamp from Vintage Bass Trading Co. These are drop in for standard Jazz's and come premounted to a Jazz control plate, but since you want a rear route go with the U-Retro that has the components desiged to work with this type of body config. You will be very pleased with the pre-amp. To find more info go here: www.vintagebass.com

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sounds like a plan! I like the combination of natural finish with a black pearl PG, 'though tortoise looks good with natural, too.

Last year when I asked Warmoth about oil finishes, one of the guys (Tommy?) suggested Formby's Tung Oil Finish as a quick-and-dirty finish that holds up well and is easy to touch up. Other people I've spoken to prefer "pure" tung oil, which is a bit more involved to apply (but still pretty easy). I've tried both, and think I'll use Formby's in the future. Whichever one you use, budget about $20 for finishing materials (finish, sandpaper, tack cloth, brushes, thinner, etc.)

A nice option on Warmoth bodies is the "contoured heel". You then counterbore the neck screw holes for bushings/washers instead of using a neck plate. Very slick!

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Ely - any progress?