1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Aug 24, 2012.

1. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Putting this under the basses tab, for lack of a better idea where it might go.

I just received my new Warmoth neck in the mail, which is super exciting! But I have to admit, I was a little surprised when I pulled it out of the box. I ordered it with the vintage satin tint and pearloid blocks, so I was expecting a nice yellow neck with bright white blocks. Apparently they finished it after putting the blocks in though, because it's gold-tinted pearloid. Same thing goes with the frets, which are now gold-tinted standard nickel. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about it, but would it be reasonable to contact Warmoth about returning it if I decide it's no bueno?

It was shipped to my work place, so once I get off I'll take it home and see how it looks with the body it's going on. After all, with the gold hardware I'm using it could be pretty sweet. But too much gold could overdo it... I dunno. Pics to come when my phone finally gets enough service to upload.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a pretty standard way of finishing. The fretboard is maple I assume?

3. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is true that I don't know the first thing about finishing. Yes, it's a birdseye maple fb.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Usually they're going to put the whole neck together (with the exception of tuning keys) and spray all of it.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Warmoth has a disclaimer about their necks that states that the frets will be finished along with the rest of the neck, and it's up to you to properly dress them. There are guies online that show how to do this. That will clean up the frets for you.

The fretboard on a vintage bass would have yellowed along with the back of the neck, so that should seem in-line aesthetically. Pearloid would no doubt age differently than maple, so if it's a major issue for you, you could always carefully remove the vintage tint from the pearloid blocks and refinish them clear.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You did order vintage tint. That's the difference between mimicing a finish, and being truly vintage....

7. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone have advice on how to remove finish from just the blocks?

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Acetone.

NO!

Blowtorch.

NO!

it's not worth it and you'll feel it and any blend in DIY refinishing under your fingers.