Warmoth is almost finished!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Here is a picture of my Warmoth P-bass as it currently stands. All it lacks is the electronics.
    The picture is poor but you get the idea.

That ghostly looking thing to the right of it is my son giving it a try. He said it was cool.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hey man, it's looking good. Keep us posted. I'm genuinely interested in your progress.
  3. wow! your son is very fast :D seriously tho it looks nice!
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    cool beans :D

Nice touch that jack & plate on the side.

You gonna' go with the natural finish? (d'oh! probably already finished).
    Nice pattern in the body wood.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is that a swamp ash body with a shaller bridge?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is your son from Krypton?
  7. lol@ "is your son from Krypton"

8. It's already finished with supplies I got from the guitar ReRanch. It's a swamp ash body with a Gotoh 206 bridge and Schaller tuners.

My son is not from Krypton but he is 2 yrs old so I guess thats the next best thing. The fuzzy picture is caused by my crappy camera but believe me, he is fast. ;)
  9. Here is another picture showing the body closeup.
  10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, I can't open the newest pic. So, you went with sprayed nitro? Any tint?
  11. I can't open that attachment either, thats weird....

Yea, I did go with the spray nitro. It worked really well. I didn't add any sort of stain but I kind of wish I did. It's a really light color......I think I might put a black pickguard on it to add a little contrast. Once I get the pickups in and knobs in it that might provide the contrast I need to break up that super light coloring as well.

I am very satisfied with the way it turned out. Acoustically it has a great sound. I can't wait to get it plugged into an amp.
  12. The pictures seem to be working again.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Count... what type of pups/electronics you gonna put in this bad boy? that bass looks extremely sweet.. I like it

If you ever decide its not for you... i would be willing to take it in and love and care for it :)
  14. Thanks ldiezman.

I'm planning on putting a Rio Grande Muy Grande P-J set it it. (That a mouth full)
    The tech at a local shop said he felt they were the best pickups you can buy for a P-bass. Since I have no experience with any other manufacturer I figured I would take his advice and give them a try.

I can't wait to hear this thing through an amp!
  15. Seymour Duncan Antiquities P and J are also excellent
  16. y'know wot?

thats one of the only fender type basses that i've ever like the look of. it looks great

can't say why though. wierd:rolleyes:

17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    keep us informed when you finished it, it seems a great bass!!
  18. Hey count, I was just wondering how you feel about the neck on your bass? Is it comfortable? Worth the dough? Oh yeah, what are the neck and fingerboard woods? The reason I ask this vast array :D of questions is because soon I will hopefully be getting a replacement neck for my J-bass, and I'd like to go with a Warmoth neck. So I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to expect if I decide to go with Warmoth.

Thanks man, and great looking bass too!

Last question, what are you putting in as far as a preamp goes?
  19. Thanks reedith,

I'm not going to install a preamp. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Nice wood, the maple has a good looking grain pattern to it.

As far as feel, it feels just like a P-bass neck. It's heavy because of the steel rods but it doesn't bother me.
  20. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Count F, nice bass with a really good looking ash body.

I can sort of relate. I recently bought a replacement maple neck for my Jazz Bass and finished it myself with a can of Behlens nitro-based Jetspray. I enjoyed doing the project, including the installation and set up.