1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Jazz Bass Project Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrokeDownSouth, Sep 30, 2013.

1. I'm thinking about getting a P-bass neck for the J body. I'd like a little more width on the neck - I haven't really ever liked the pencil thin necks on traditional 4 string J's. Is this a good idea? Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Does someone need to talk me out of doing this?

2. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

3. I like a standard P neck with only moderate chunk to the back. I find J neck width too thin, but the shape is comfortable.

4. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    IME Warmoth J's still have some meat on them .

5. But the P neck would have a little more....

I'm super used to a 5 string - I wish warmoth offered a few profiles and nut widths as they do with guitar necks.

6. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    A Warmoth standard P is pretty meaty neck .

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1

8. Ok, good. I feel pretty confident about getting the P neck for the J bass now.

9. They do...

10. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    Unless you're against Fender, you can also buy official necks directly from fender.com

11. I'm against Fender.

12. ...yet you want a Fender style bass...dafuq??

13. Just a little sarcasm. I've had such good experience with warmoth guitars that I want to do a bass.

14. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    I did it with my fret less even though I'm a J neck fan. I wanted a thicker neck to give it more of an upright feel. Worked great. My next Warmoth project will be the opposite: P body with a J neck. :hyper:

15. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Mar 16, 2006
    California
    After working on the electronics on my Jazz, and realizing I have all the tools, I was thinking of a build too. Not necessarily all Warmoth, but definitely a Jazz copy. Sounds like a fun project.

16. Most definitely. I think I want a bound neck / body. Gonna go with Swamp ash for the body. May do some exotic wood for the neck. Pretty settled on Nordie fat stacks and a mike pope flex core for the electronics.

FWIW - I think fatter necks sound better on average. Hope I didn't offend too many people with that statement.

17. So my ol standby is a jazz body with a precision fretless rosewood neck . I originally had bartolini pups and recently swapped the pups with custom shop and an Audere preamp. I love the feel. So I say go for it

18. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    One of my last Warmoth builds was a jazz body & precision neck. Loved it.

19. Great. I got some good confirmation. From what I can tell the headstock shape for the warmoth p and j necks are nearly identical. Just thinking, NBD if they're different.