Warmoth Jazz bass replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marabr, Oct 29, 2019.

1. marabr

marabr

Oct 29, 2019
    I'm considering replacing the neck on a '78 Fender Jazz bass, but it has the three whole mounting for the neck. Has anyone gone with a Warmoth neck without the mounting holes and had them bored by a luthier?

Thanks!

2. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1312-DrillBlock-Handheld-Drill/dp/B00F1ZJFZK No, but I doubt you could get a luthier’s services for 7 bucks. If you have a hand held electric drill, this jig will allow you to drill perfectly straight holes. For myself, I used mine to drill holes for an adjustable butt plate on a favorite rifle. Be careful about depth when going into the neck. Mark your drill bit with some tape after getting proper depth from the old neck. Practice the whole exercise on scrap. Sorry for the pun!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Get a Warmoth with “Graphite” rods in leu of the “steal” as the steal ones are heavy and “Slim taper” neck. Warmoth necks are chunky so I would go slim. Otherwise, the necks are good and action out of the box is quite good.

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Agree with #3 above - I recently quit on my old parts J-bass because it's just too heavy for a gig. The Warmoth neck is the Jazz width and includes the steel rods. I ordered this neck shortly after I bought the bass to swap out for its Warmoth P neck once I figured out that I wanted the J width.

It has a little welcome chunkiness for a Jazz neck - not a deep "baseball bat", but not a shallow pencil either. Wonderfully solid and stable, fantastic fret work, but pretty hefty. It doesn't promote serious neck dive, but it does like to drop a little bit. Let's call it "neck wilt"?

If I decide to build a bass in the future or swap out a neck, I'll only order a Warmoth with graphite rods and not steel.

5. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    I'd go with a Musikraft neck so you can get the radius and profile correct for the late 70's. Late 70's jazz bass neck replacements are hard to come by because nobody makes bullet truss rods iirc.

Btbp likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Btbp likes this.
  7. Almost exactly what I want, except for the Pao Ferro, and gloss finish. The Musikraft looks like a worth Warmouth alternative, albeit expensive. I hadn't heard of them before. Sadly no one else seems to make J necks with bullet truss rods.

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021