warmoth jazz build - bridge placement??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blakelock, Dec 12, 2015.

1. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    [note: bridge placement question at bottom]

hey all,
    built a warmoth P a few years ago and now i'm doing a jazz.

here're a few pics to get us started.

IMG_0974.jpg
    tobacco burst body
    slim neck with pear inlays and black blocking (not a huge blocking lover but this wa sin the gallery and it looked sweet)

IMG_0980.jpg
    dry fit...looks pretty good

IMG_0986.jpg
    shielded...don't know how big a difference this'll make though...i have standard lindy frailin jazz PU's going in here

BRIDGE placement??
    i mistakenly ordered the body drilled for the gotoh bridge but i actually have a hipshot A FM2. the holes are spaced a little different. i measured from the 12th fret to the bridge and it looks like the position of the holes are fine but the spacing is not correct. i don't have a problem drilling a couple new holes but 2 of the new hole positions slightly overlap current holes.
    - can i use the toothpick and wood glue trick to fill these pre-existing holes, then redress in the proper position? (trick is the dips toothpicks in glue then jam them in the hole. after it dries, cut off the protruding ends of the toothpicks and you have a "filled" hold)

or is there a better way to fill and redrill.

pics
    Slide1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    gsnad2000 likes this.
  2. As long as the toothpick pretty much fills the hole, that will work fine. You may need something a little thicker - a skewer?

3. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    will try the skewers...thx

any other suggestions for filling unwanted holes?

4. After the glue is dry, You'll want to cut off the pieces sticking up so you have a nice flat surface. My method is to cut them off with side cutters and then trim them with a very sharp chisel. You may want to practice on some scrap wood if you're not confident with a chisel - and/or tape some thin cardboard over the surrounding finish.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

1/8" hardwood dowels - drill the existing holes out to 1/8", about 1/2" deep, then glue 1/2" dowel pieces into the holes.
    Thanks.

7. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    decided to keep it simple for the time being and just use an old stock fender bridge.

all soldered and shrink-tubed

IMG_0736%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

it's sounding quite awesome...with both PU's maxed and full tone, it's very fat and round, i guess that's the nature of the fralin PU's ...that's how i like it. jaco tone (tone off and bridge PU solo's) sounds quite nice too

8. Nice work!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021