Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Jazz neck for my P-Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I just got an order confirmation about the custom neck I ordered for my MIM Precision bass (which I refinished recently).

I ordered a Jazz neck for it. Maple, with an ebony fingerboard (no dots on face). They originally said it would be an eight to ten week wait, but in the confirmation e-mail, they said they expected to ship it in four to five weeks. Cool with me.

Here's a pic (with the stock neck on it).

[​IMG]

I'll have to route out the body at the neck joint, as Warmoth necks have the truss rod adjustment on the heel end (and MIM's adjust on the peghead end). No big deal though.

Going to be a long four or five weeks. :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sweetness! What's the name of the finish on your bass? I haven't seen that one on MIM before.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    LOL. Thanks.

I did it myself. I have another thread on it.

The body wood on my MIM P-Bass had very little grain, but what it did have wasn't matched when the body wood was glued together. So to hide it, I used a "sponge-painting" technique (like how you would paint the interior walls of a home).

I used a combination of Mahogany and Classic-Oak stains, using a rag for the "sponge-staining". Then I airbrushed a combination of Ebony and Mahogany stain around the edges before clear coating.

I can't wait to get the new neck with the ebony fingerboard on there!

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Here's another pic, closer up...

[​IMG]

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  6. wow! awesome finish! definately post pics when your neck gets in, thats gonna be killer