Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Jazz project - aeros, fender cs 60s, others?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Weil, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi all,

I'm planning on building a Fender Jazz copy with a little attitude. Current plans for it are:

Alder body (?with figured maple top)
    24-fret Warmoth Jazz neck (maple neck with pao ferro fretboard)
    Aero type I Jazz pickups
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Gotoh 201 bridge - modded with Graphtech Piezo system (Ghost/FAAS system)

I'm wanting some advice about the most 'Fender Jazz' sounding pickups out there, though. I'm not deviating much from the recipe for a standard fender jazz because I love the snarly, bell-like, funky tones that they make - I just want a few extra bells. Accordingly I need some advice about pickups.

The graphtech piezos I've used before and like very much. However after reading the old BP shootout of Jazz pickup replacements it seems a few clear contenders stand out for the Jazz pickups:

1. Aero type I's
    2. Fender Custom Shop 60's
    3. Seymour Duncan Antiquities

I'm not looking for a 'noiseless'/stacked j kind of pickup - just a single coil with funky snarl/attitude. Seems like the three above fit the bill. Anyone have any comments or warnings?

Pete :bassist:

2. i have a reissues 62 picup in the bridge of my warwick corvet, iam going to buy a set to put in my fender jazz. i love this pickup, ill probly will liek the neck picup too. if iam right emg makes all the fender picups.ill go find that bassplayer and see if iam right.

3. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
  4. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    bumpity bump bump, bump bump, bumpity bump bump, bump bump.....

BUMP!

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Seymore Duncan SJB-1's almost all around for me. I'm after a 'vintage' kind of vibe much like the tone you're describing. Very 60's sounding pickup to my ear. So I have a number of J's loaded with those p'kups. For me the string - bridge combination makes the largest difference. So -

a Fernandes, Alder body, stock bridge, Fender flats for the Duck Dunn, Jamerson, McCartney thing.

a MIM fretless with an Alder replacement body, stock bridge, D'Addario Chromes - a very woody sounding bass. My fav fretless at the moment

USACG Swamp Ash, described in your body wood thread using the BA II and roto's. This is my hang it out there, slappin', in your face instrument. Had to tame it with an active Pre. Very aggresive in spite of the SJB-1's. That one was originally setup wth Duncan AJJ-1 actives. Way too much for what I was looking for. Then the SJB-1's setup VT, VT. Still too brite. The addition of the pre, being able to boost the mid, drop the treble and bring up the bass a tad made all the difference. The pre is from a MIA Active Deluxe J courtesy of the yard sale here. Suprisingly, it doesn't add a whole lot of gain which for me is a good thing when changing basses.

So - 3 pretty differnt sounding J basses all using the same pickups

6. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks 4Mal.

Kind of interesting that you kept all of your pickups the same but changed the hardware! You sure the swamp ash didn't affect the tone too much on you USACG bass?

So that's one for Seymour Duncans. Anyone else got an opinion?

The other thing I should have said is that I'm going to load the bass with TI Jazz Rounds - very sweet jazz strings.

Pete

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hey pete,
    I put a set of Fender custom shop '60s nad I got exactly what you want, "Funky snarl/attitude. When I whent shopping for some pickups I wanted my bass to have a massive amount of growl and a friend mentioned these pickups. Needless to say I was very happy.

8. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Consider Villex. Not a lot of info available on them yet, but check here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92410

I played a bass equipped with a set of J's, and I fell in love with the tone. Not so much the bass, but the response and range of the pups was incredible. I'm going to be building a custom with a set of Villex eventually...

9. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've never heard of Villex. I'll go looking for a website......anyone else have any other suggestions?

Pete

10. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Update:

I've managed to find Fender CS 60's very cheap, and many seem to have had good experiences with them, so I'm going to go ahead and get them.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Pete