Warmoth MM medium scale mahogany/wenge build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassThumpinJim, Apr 28, 2018.

1. BassThumpinJim

BassThumpinJim

Apr 12, 2018
    Gulp! I just pulled the trigger on my first bass build. I've heard so many great things about Warmoth, and I really like how extremely customizable they are.

I'm going medium scale, 32". I currently have four basses, two long scale and two short scale. I really love the tones from the long scales, but I really like the feel and balance of the shorts. Advanced mathematics through a super computer tells me that I can get the best of both (hmm, I really hope so ...) with a medium scale.

For the body, I went with mahogany to try to get a warm tone. I'm going clear finish, because mahogany is just so beautiful. Warmoth didn't have any G4 short scale bodies in stock in mahogany, so I had to go custom ... with an estimated 10 week delivery.

For the neck, I went with wenge. I have a Warwick with wenge, and I just really love that tone and look. The neck was in stock, so I'll get stare at it until the body arrives.

For the electrical bits, I'm going a single MM Alnico V in the bridge position. I'm going to use a Seymour Duncan active preamp. The pup will be from Seymour Duncan, too.

Since writing this post, I now have nine weeks, six days, and 23.75 hours to wait ....

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Subbed.

BassThumpinJim likes this.
  3. BassThumpinJim

BassThumpinJim

Apr 12, 2018
    This build just got real! The Warmoth craftspeople delivered on the body and neck way ahead of the estimated 10 weeks. 20180605_213419.jpg 20180605_213436.jpg

4. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Nice! Those parts will certainly make a beautiful bass. Just take your time. I'm sure it will turn out just fine. Of course, if you run into problems, you can always ask here. As you probably know, there are a bunch of very helpful informative folks here at TB to consult.

BassThumpinJim and FingerDub like this.
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    What kind/color of hardware are you gonna use?

6. BassThumpinJim

BassThumpinJim

Apr 12, 2018
    Thanks! Indeed, TB is an incredible resource.

HELLonWHEELS likes this.
  7. BassThumpinJim

BassThumpinJim

Apr 12, 2018
    I'm going with black Gotoh GB7 tuning machines, black Gotoh 201 bridge ... basically all black hardware. The pup will be a MM active by Seymour Duncan with their 4 knob active preamp.

8. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Should look great. My first thought was gold hardware, but black is a much better choice. A very nice contrast.

Are you going straight clear, or a little transparent color?

9. BassThumpinJim

BassThumpinJim

Apr 12, 2018
    Interesting note about the wenge neck. Warmoth doesn't require a finish on that wood to have the warranty. So, I got it unfinished. I really like how it feels ... nice and smooth.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022