Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Neck Finishes VS Rounds on Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ehque, Feb 23, 2006.

1. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i was just wondering. my next bass WILL be a fretless gecko 6, but will the factory neck finish (gloss/satin) protect a fretless maple fingerboard well enough that i can use rounds on it for 30 years?

(is that a reasonable expectation?)

what DOES warmoth use, and what should I use, if i plan on doing it myself? is Thor a viable option?

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    ok, i see that thor has a 2 year wait time... anyone can answer the other questions?

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Necks are finished with a catalyzed lacquer material.

In all honesty, I would be surprise if a*any* finish could completely withstand 30 years of roundwound strings. Roundwounds will chew through the finish and, ultimately, through the maple fingerboard.

You might want to look at some sort of epoxy finish (a la' Pedulla).

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    What is import as a bass player is being able to express your sound. Round wound strings are an important part my sound as well as many other players of frettless and fretted basses. Wyliee is absouletly correct in stating that nothing is gonna last that long.
    Here's a better way to look at it IMO, if you like maple with round wounds and that's part of your sound, damn it get maple with round wounds. When the finger board needs attention, which will be a while, replane and refinish the finger board. The object here in not to have the fingerboard lasts forever but finding an instrument that sounds like you want it to.
    Perhaps you will compromise and go for ebony or diamond wood. Those woods last a long time. If not, get what you want and don't worry about problems that haven't happend yet....for what it's worth.