Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmoth neck for essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkfish, Aug 28, 2002.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    is it worth it?

theyre only $150 for rosewood on maple...

itd be better quality, more comfortable, and itd even have a fender style headstock

has anyone else done this?

Light birdseye figure
    Neck Wood_ Maple_
    Fingerboard_ Rosewood
    Scale_ 34 in.
    Nut Width_ 1-11/16"
    Back Contour_ Standard Thin
    Fingerboard Radius_ Straight 10"
    Number of Frets_ 21
    Fret Wire_ Fretting included. You choose size.
    Inlay_ Cream Face Dots
    Key Holes_ BML
    Price_ $150.00

[​IMG] [​IMG]

for

[​IMG]

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    AFAIK, it wouldn't be worth it because it probably won't be intune. I beleive essexes are 34.5" scale, while a warmoth neck is for the standard 34" fender scale.

3. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    so what does that mean....it wont be in tune? huh?

cant i just get it set up and everything so itl be pretty much just like a fender?

4. P-O-T this couldn't be further from the truth! The Essex basses are standard 34" scales and would have no problem in this regard using a Warmoth neck. The REAL problem would be that you would have to route a small inlet to allow access to the trussrod at the heel of the neck. Warmoth's don't adjust from the headstock like the Essex's do.

I've got to question the wisdom of this though. I own one Essex neck and have done work on another so I've seen their quality. I've even ordered up a new maple/maple, they are that good. What is so bad about your neck that you feel the need to swap out? As far as headstock shapes go, sure it isn't a Fender, but what you've got is a Sadowsky! :)

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA

well i'll be damned. At rondo music's site the jazz style basses are listed as 34.5" basses, but it seems that the bridge is farther from the edge of the body than a normal jazz. The p-basses and pj are 34", except SX - SPB62QMG which is also listed as 34.5"

6. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I hope it'll work. I ordered a licensed by fender fretless neck for my essex fretless p-bass. $99 from victor litz music online. Mods to date: badass bridge, duncan 1/4 lb p/u, tortoise p/g on sunburst. yes!

7. Well, if there's anything I can fault Rondo for it's some of the descriptions of their instruments on the web page. Notice too, that they list the necks for the P's and J's as 21 fret. They are both 20 just like a Fender. :)

I just sold 2 necks from the 5 string Brice basses. Both were 34" scale but with 24 frets. The last is positioned at the end of the overhanging fretboard. They wouldn't work on a Fender body because the extra length would sink way too far into the body leaving very little room for pups.

8. It seems that I might have been talking through my hat here. I went back to the Rondo site and looked again and I was wrong about some of the basses. The pattern I discovered is that the rosewood necks all seem to have 20 frets like Fenders. The maple necks (except for one illustration) all seem to have 21. After looking at the 21 fret instruments and the positioning of the bridges, I think that, although they are 34" scale, the additional length of the neck itself requires positioning the bridge a bit further from the end of the body. I did notice what Portrait of Tracy was referring to and those basses seemed like they had the additional frets on the neck.

I know this is confusing but remember that after the 12th fret, you can have as many frets as you want and not change scale. The real telling measurement is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret as this is exactly half of the scale distance. On my Essex neck (rosewood) it's 17" or a 34" scale. I imagine someone got confused and added the distance between the 20th and 21st frets (about ½") to the overall scale length and called it a 34½" scale. What they should have done is just measure nut to the 12th.

9. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    so do you guys overall reccomend this?
    i really want a nice rosewood/maple neck and you cant beat $150 for the craftsmanship warmoth has proved

10. I don't see the need for it from where I sit. You seem to think that Warmoth has better quality without reference to the quality of your own neck. These things are pretty simple and if you don't see, hear, or feel a quality difference then there likely isn't one. I'm curious why you didn't order your bass with a rosewood neck in the first place.

Remember, you'll still have to do a little carving on your body for clearing the truss rod. And, you'll always have to remove it for adjustments.

Portrait of Tracy's point about the additional fret should be taken into consideration too. If the stock neck pocket holds a longer neck, then the bridge might have to be moved to make it work. You'll have to get with Warmoth for some measurements and also do some precise measuring on your own bass to see if the two are compatible as a bolt on. If you have to move the bridge, it isn't very hard, just be careful to keep it centered and squared and your off...

11. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    the neck on mine sucks. i cant stand maple, i bought it to try it out (fretless) and i think id be better off with a rosewood j neck (as thats what im used to)

the work shouldnt matter

the sx neck is just annoying. etc.

12. Is it the feel of the neck? I sanded and refinished the neck on my Essex, and it feels WAY better.

13. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    its that, and the fact that it has fretlines and dots for a fretless, and its maple, and i dont like the sound i get from it as opposed to rosewood fretless'

14. Well, to each their own, but I fell in love with solid maple necks. Thanks Hambone!

If rosewood is your preference, then I say go for it. Essex basses are great for the money, and if swapping out the neck will make it that much better for you, then do it. Warmoth necks are suberb, from what I've heard. I'm still waiting for mine, though. My order was very simple, solid maple, blank paddle headstock, and it was a three week wait.