Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Neck for MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Oct 22, 2001.

1. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    Hey Folks,

I am new to these forums.. I was hoping you good people could help me out. I have a MIM Jazz Bass which is about a year old and want to buy a Warmoth fretless neck for it. I am incapable of doing the switch myself, and was hoping you all could tell me what I should or should not do?? I want to try to do it myself, but I have never been very good at anything on technical side of repairing or upgrading my Bass. Is there a way to get good at the simple stuff (lowering action, adjusting intonation)?

Trial and error has cost me money in the past and I would like to avoid breaking anything else.. Sorry for the length of the post.. Any help is appreciated!

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Welcome to Talkbass,Jeremy.
    In my opinion,you could probably find a used MIM fretless Jazz for the same price that its going to cost for a Warmoth neck,new strings,labor and any other hardware you may need(new tuners,etc).

Good luck.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree. Warmoth stuff is not cheap, but you should be able to find something nice fretless used for about the same price. I replaced the neck on a cheap bass once witha really good expensive neck. I regret it! I didn't know what I was doing and I ruined a great neck!

4. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    Thanks for the advice..

Maybe I'll just save up and get the Jaco model.. I can't rely on my setup guy anymore.

5. Well, that isn't secessarily true. It looks like a fretless maple J bass neck with ebony fingerbaord goes for $167, which doesn't sound that bad. You have to finish it or pay them around $50 to do so. Cutting the nut could be tricky, so you may want your local lutheir to do so. I'm sure it is a MUCH nicer neck than what would come standard on a MIM jazz anyway. The only problem is that now you are into the bass another $200 which you probably won't see much of when you sell it. Then again, if this is an instrument you plan on keeping for a while, it may be well worth it.

-Chris

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why hasn't anyone suggested that he de-fret the neck he has now? Some of my fellow TalkBassers claim it's quite easy to do, with a minimum of effort. From what I've read, it's as simple as yanking the frets with a pliers, filling the slots with some wood putty and refinishing it. Ask around or try doing a search for "defretting."

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The hardest thing is filing the nut. If you feel you can do that, I'd go for it.

I've seen some pretty bad de-frets in my day. :) It's a good idea if you feel comfortable doing it.

The good thing about getting a Warmoth neck is if you can put the Fender MIM neck on eBay & make about $100-$125.

As for spending money on parts, everything in on the MIM neck.