Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth neck needs finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basss, Mar 4, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I am about to buy a maple/rosewood Warmoth 5 string neck. If possible I would like to leave the neck unfinished for the feel and to save a few bucks. The warmoth site says that 10% of their unfinished necks warp but I have heard mixed opinions about this. Does anyone out there have experience with unfinished maple Warmoth necks?

2. Rather than leaving it completely unfinished, I'd recommend at least putting a tung oil finish on it. I've had several Warmoth necks finished that way, and never had a problem.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Is applying a tung oil finish something that I could do myself?

4. Yes, it's pretty easy to do.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks!
    Should I apply it to the fingerboard too or just the maple parts of the neck?

6. Rosewood fretboards do not normally get finished (unless you happen to be Rickenbacker).

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've built a few Warmoth basses with out a finish on the neck & I've never had a problem with any of them.

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Wipe-on gel poly from Petri is my favorite DIY finish. You can apply it with a paper towel and it buffs itself out as you apply. Feels great and it satisfies our warranty requirements (and helps keep the neck stable.) Look for it from woodturning supply places, where they sell it for finishing bowls and the like.

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've had a Warmoth neck on my Squire Bullet Bass for about 16 years now. Never put a finish on it.
    The neck is Maple with an Ebony fretboard. I,ve never had a problem.

Also, this is the one bass I don't have a case for, so this is the bass that gets left around the house out in the open. When it's cold, when it's hot, whatever. Never protected.

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Just keep in mind that if you disregard their advice the warranty wiull be void. They insist on a finish for maple necks to keep it in place. If you are one of the lucky ones (like the previous posters) that never get a problem that's great.

I have 3 of their necks, 2 of which are covered under warranty with no finish (an Ebony/Ebony board and a Padauk/Ebony board). The 3rd is a Bird'seye Maple/BM board that was finished for warranty coverage. Like they say, oils don't count. But, you just may get a neck that will last and last the way it is. I feel for the money I put into their quality product, I need that extra assurance.

It will truly su*k if you are one of the 10% though.....do you feel lucky?

See if you like one of their woods that require no finish. Things show up pretty regular in the Showcase.

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    How does this stuff work as a clear finish on bodies?

12. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    To be honest I've never tried it on a body. Seems like it would take a lot to fill up the pores of a wood like ash or mahogany, and this stuff works best applied in thin layers. On maple you can polish it as you apply successive coats like French polish.

Short answer - works great on maple, never tried it on anything else.