Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth neck on a MIM P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Doug, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Anyone have a Warmoth neck installed on their P-Bass? I'm considering putting one on and I was wondering how well they fit together. I wrote Warmoth and this is the response I got:
    "The neck should fit fairly well. I say this because the “overseas shop class” spec tolerances are not what the US and Japanese are. You may find that it is not a perfect fit."

Just wondering how much is "not a perfect fit"?

Thanx!

2. Quite probably not enough to really worry about. You should measure your body and neck as closely as you can. Use a steel ruler marked in mm's and compare them to the published Warmoth specs. You will probably find them to be pretty near. I wouldn't worry about stuff less than .25mm. Even American Fenders have play like that occasionally. You can easily fix it with a couple of neat tricks we have here in the forum. If the neck pocket is smaller, it probably won't be by much more than the thickness of the finish. I think that most any difference will be inconsequential.

As far as how far into the body the neck is set up for, that shouldn't be a problem either. Your bridge has enough adjustment in it to compensate for a slight difference.

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Thanx Hambone!