1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth neck question.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike M., Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm going to order a neck from Warmoth for my '73 Jazz bass.

Question: Has anyone ever encountered any dead spots on any Fender style neck from Warmoth?

I'm just going to keep it pretty basic. Maple neck with a rosewood top and some new tuners.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Hmm, not one response. Oh well, took a chance late last night and placed an order to have a neck built. Should be here in 5-6 weeks.

Sure will be nice to be able to play that bass again.

3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I have purchased two necks from warmoth one canary/bloodwood and the other wenge/ebony and both are outstanding. Not sure they would fit the newer fenders but did have the canary bloodwood neck on a geddy lee bass and it fit great. Both necks are fretless as I am now a convert; lol. I did have a late 80's early 90's era warmoth bass (neck and Body) that was fretted and just loved it. It had small frets almost guitar like but made for fast movement up and down the neck. It was built by "players guitars" (any of you chicago guys should know who I am talking about) and I miss it very much. Quality is outstanding on there necks as that have found a way to lighten them and my newest one has a slim contour standard without upgrade. Some will say don't but a bass unseen but compared to my new USA fenders they are top shelf. Quilted maple doesn't sound better then maple. Attention to detail and tight fitting parts along with quality electronics make a bass sound great. Just look at Sadowsky's.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't, but it isn't impossible.

Curious: Why a new neck for a '73? The neck is pretty much 99% of the "Fenderness" of the Fender J bass, don't you think?

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    "Dead spots" are not a function of the neck alone. They are a function of the resonance of the instrument as a whole. Changing necks may make no difference at all. Or the dead spot may move to a different location on the neck. Bit of a crap shoot really.

6. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Don't know about 4 bolt 70's Fenders but the 3 bolts had a different size/shape neck pocket.

I would highly recommend the graphite rods vs. the steel. Have not tried the graphite but I replaced a broken mid 70's Jazz with a Warmoth with steel rods and it was never the same again. No dead spots but just a strange amount of sustain and lack of lowend.

I would also recommend the slim contour, the standard is way chunkier than a 70's Jazz and didn't feel much like a Fender (if you like Fender necks).

7. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Agreed; I would keep and repair the old neck if you still have it. I would only get a replacement if I had to. To me the old stuff sounds so good because its so dried out that the whole instrument just resonates. There is nothing like aged wood; sounds great to my ears. Smack a wet log on the ground and then one that is really dry and tell me which one has more ring. Keep in mind this is just an opinion not law.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    A reasonable question. I bought that bass used somewhere around 1985 for dirt cheap and it came with a replacement neck...a Kubiki. Played great and sounded great. In time and for whatever reason the neck started to develop a bad warp where it bolts on to the body. Took it to two differant techs and they couldn't fix it. As a result I had to set the action very high to keep the fret noise down when I played in the higher register. Made the overall playing uncomfortable. As a result I haven't touched that bass much since 1998.

I kept telling myself that one day I was going to get a new neck for it and that day has finally arrived. Been playing some of the newer J basses lately and I realized how much I miss playing mine.

Can't see shelling out bucks for a new bass, so I'm getting the old one fixed up...and hopefully for good!

Wanted to add one more thing. About two months ago I bought a GK MB 115 combo. (Love it!) After not touching the J for years I plugged it in and as hard as that bass was to play I'll tell ya...to these old ears it's the best sounding bass I have. Better than my Squire P bass, my Ibanez SR505 and my MIM J 5 string. About two weeks ago after playing some of the newer J's is when I decided to get my old one fixed up.

I don't worry about the "old vs. new wood" thing. As long as the new neck is sturdy and if I can get the action where I want it I know I'll be good to go.

9. oldbasses

oldbasses

Oct 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    I have had really good luck with Warmoth necks. I have only bought them used, but they have always worked perfectly. I currently have two fretless necks and they work perfectly. They have great action and sound great live and in the studio.

As for old versus new, I just play what I like. All of my basses started life as some sort of Jazz bass or Jazz bass clone, but none of them have any of the parts they were delivered with. I don't own my basses as an investment for the future, I own them to bring me pleasure now so I am not worried about swapping parts if it makes them sound better.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Glad to hear those necks have worked out for you. Mine should be here in about a month. I ordered the steel rods in mine. Figured why not? Should make it about as rock solid as you can get.

Really looking forward to being able to play that bass again.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021