Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, May 20, 2003.

1. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Hey
    The folks at warmoth said their 4 string bass neck is patterened after a 62 jazz neck. I have never played a 62 jazz. How does it compare conuour wise to a MIM jazz. Is is smaller, larger?
    Thanks

2. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Does anyone know what a 62 jazz neck is like?

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Warmoth makes some great stuff, but IMHO, their jazz neck isn't exactly like a '62. It's still comfortable and easy to play.

Compared to a standard Warmoth, the genuine aticle is thinner front to back. I don't own a '62, but had the chance to A/B/C a jazz bass made from Warmoth parts, my Sadowsky, and the vintage Fender. The Sadowsky neck was almost an exact copy of the Fender. I can't say all '62 necks are like the single one I tried, but all the pre-1965 jazzes I've played were similar.

Since you can get the neck unfinished, it's possible to work the neck to old-style Fender specs before the final finish.

4. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Anyone know how this neck compares to a sterling neck?

5. Sterling necks are pretty thin, about the size of the '62 RI and Sadowsky necks I've played. So if the Warmoth is thicker than those, it's thicker than a Sterling.

6. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    i have a warmouth 62 jazz neck it is nothing like the real deal....had it shaved down twice and its still chunky as hell!!!!