Warmoth neck with Moonglow side dots or Luminlay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badRocks, Aug 17, 2018.

1. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    I just put a roasted maple Warmoth neck with black dots on my bass. I played the other night in a dark room and couldn't see the dots at all. I started looking through the threads here and found several options. The one that I'm leaning towards is the Luminlay side dots. Unfortunately most of the reviews for all the lights. tapes, and inlays are years old. I remembered that Warmoth offered a Moonglow inlay option on their custom necks. I'm not sure if they will sell me the side dot material, but before I try and get some, I thought Id see if anybody has used them in a neck.
    Any thoughts on the Luminlay material would be appreciated also .

2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Rosemead, Ca
    I have Luminlay on a few basses, including the Skjold in my avatar. Its great when charged up, it does the trick. I installed some myself on 2 basses, with mixed results. I personally am not very practiced with woodworking, and did iffy work- it was also a nerve wracking experience to drill into necks too. If I could go back in time, I would not install any myself. Also, on the Skjold bass that Pete did for me, he used large dots 2.5 mm solid green, no ring- those are better than the smaller dots with ring, IMO.
    you might go the fretFX route, I would like to try that next myself- google it!

3. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    I took a look at Fretfx. What I read was that the strip is very fragile. Some people reported not being able to lift the bass by the neck. That's a problem it would seem hanging the guitar as well. Also many people reported issues with the owner of the business. They don't respond to emails and take around a month to ship out product after payment clears.

I ordered the Luminlay without the black outer ring. I ordered the 2mm which is the current size of the side dots. Worst case I just replace it with the regular side dot material. I'm going to take your advice and not do the install myself. Haywire Guitars is going to install them for me for $30. Money well spent in my opinion.

I spoke to Warmoth also and they don't sell the Moonglow as a part in case anybody was thnking of going that route.

Thanks Garret

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    I had Luminlays on my fretless Zon 5 and they’re on my Elrick SLC 6. They’re nice. They don’t glow for hours on end or anything, but when fully charged they will last a full set, and fully charging them will only take about a minute if you use an intense blue or purple light. They sell a little blue LED keychain flashlight that works perfectly for it.

5. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    I ordered the light. It only added a few dollars to the cost. Thanks Bryan

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Cool. I wouldn’t advise attaching it to your actual keychain- I did for a while and when you drop your keys the batteries can come out. Best to just keep it in your gig bag.

7. badRocks

badRocks

Jun 11, 2018
    Longs, SC
    Thanks for that. Just one more thing to carry around :)

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Are you sure it wasn't the Fretlord side-strip markers?
    The FretFX system is far superior to the Fretlord version for durability. I don't think Fretlord even sells the side markers these days.
    As for the Luminlay markers, I heard they only last for 15-20 per charge.
    Have you tried them out yet?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018