Warmoth neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jake15, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'm thinking about buying a mia jazz bass and then replacing the neck with a warmoth because I want 22 frets.Is this a good idea, are they better than the neck that comes with the fender.
  2. IMO there will be little to no real return on the trouble it would be just to do this for 2 extra frets. If those frets were on the other end of the neck it would be a different story :)

BUT, since you asked, this could be done and perhaps not cost you a penny. Here's how:

When you buy your new Fender, don't play it very much at all to keep it in pristine shape. Then make your Warmoth purchase (and maybe get a set of decals to boot!) and do the swap. The neck you buy(depending on configuration and materials) will run between $150 - $250. Take your pristine original neck and sell it on ebay as a new 2001 American Fender neck. The resale of this type of item on ebay is very, very good. You'll likely make back all of the purchase price of the Warmoth and perhaps a little bit more. The only upside to all of this other than the possibility of doing it for nothing is that the Warmoth neck will be as free of dead spots as any neck can be. That isn't necessarily so of the original Fender product.

Hope this helps
  3. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Sounds like a good idea but i would probably keep the original neck incase i ever wanted to resell the bass
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a Warmoth P-bass neck on a P-bass & It's VERY hard to reach that last fret. I'd buy a bass w/the extra frets (i.e. Amer Dlx) with the lower cutaway made for a bass w/extra frets.