Warmoth Necks have me re-thinking MIA Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7thbass, Feb 17, 2006.

1. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    From everything I read here at TB, and seeing the very nice basses built by Nino Valenti, it looks like the Warmoth necks are solid, pro-quality replacements for standard fender necks. I am sure that builders who use these necks add value to them, especially fretted necks.

If I am looking for a fretless, and thinking about the American Standard Fretless, would it make more sense to buy a used MIM fender and slap a Warmoth fretless neck and upgrade the electronics?

Antither way of looking at it is this: How much different would a Warmoth fretless neck sound on a MIM body or MIA body, electronics and all else being equal? Or would it be about the same?

Economics would look like this:
    100-120 pickups
    300 MIM jazz
    200 Warmoth neck
  2. jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    If you buy the MIM Jazz and get one in good shape, you'll probably be able to sell the neck and pickups on eBay and get back some of the money you paid for the bass.

OTOH, if you are willing to spend $300 for a bass just to use the body, why not just buy a Warmoth body instead?

3. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    You are probably right. But I was wondering more about the neck and whether body pedigree mattered that much.

Thanks for the insight.
  4. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

Body "pedigre" doesn't matter as much as neck, but still you'd be far better off buying a warmoth body than stripping a MIM.

Plus they look far nicer imho. mmmm dinky J....
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Also, don't forget the harware you'll need as well.
  6. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Dude, once you start swapping parts, there is no pedigree, especially on a MIM Fender. I have a Warmoth fretted jazz neck and a MIA Fender Jazz, and I prefer the Warmoth neck. However, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it, the Warmoth headstock is cut for 2+2 Gotoh tuners. Seems to balance much better. BTW, it's on a Warmoth P/bass body. Warmoth stuff ain't cheap, but it's definitely quality gear.
  7. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, look at valenti basses. eeryone raves about his stuff, and most of the parts come from warmoth and usacg. and his basses get rave reviews.

obviously, its good stuff. and it will be far more rewarding to purchase the parts and build it urself than just buy a fender.

the only thing that gets costly is finishing. 125 on necks and minimum 170 on bodies.

otherwise, your good to go.

its as close to custom as you can get without dropping a load of cash or pulling out the bandsaw, too :)

you can get a much cooler body shape also.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Musician's Friend has a beautiful Fender Jazz bass body in their clearance section right now. Very reasonably priced.
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I recommend playing a bass or two with a Warmoth neck first... you may not like the feel (or you may love it!). I had a Am Std P-bass with a Warmoth Tele bass a couple years ago... good bass overall... but I always had the sense that the neck was too unyielding/rigid... like it were made of stone. Not nearly as resonant as I would have liked. I'm guessing the steel reinforcement bars had something to do with this.

That said, others love their basses made with Warmoth parts, and I've played other Warmoth-necked basses (albeit for brief periods of time) on which I didn't immediately notice the same.
  10. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx

I had that thought as well, but then added up the cost of replacing the hardware. But some of the Warmoth bodies are freaking beautiful.

I appreciate everyone's advice. This has been helpful.
  11. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    so reuse the hardware from your MIM, I thought that was a given. :D