Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Necks = Increased Brightness?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skieresz, Jan 16, 2006.

1. skieresz

skieresz

Nov 30, 2002
    I replaced a '72 fender maple/maple p bass neck with a Warmoth rosewood fretboard neck due to wanting a slimmer neck. I also replaced a Mighty Might maple/maple neck on a frankestein jazz bass with a Warmoth maple/maple. What I've noticed is the Warmoth necks are MUCH brighter. Is this to be expected? I've had to raise my action way up in order to avoid trebley clacking while I'm playing. Would another aftermarket neck such as Allparts offer a neck with a less bright sound?

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    While I've noticed increased sustain more than increased brightness, the fact that the Warmoth neck is more rigid could mean that the high freqs are not absorbed so much by the neck - resulting in more highs at the pickup. I have one stock Jazz bass and one with a Warmoth neck, and I do roll off more highs with the Warmoth.

3. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I love Warmoth neck construction but have noticed this tendancy as well. It could possibly be the result of the stiffer design, I don't know. They use a thicker fingerboard, slightly larger profiles and the metal rods. This all adds up to a stiffer neck for sure.

On the plus side, no dead spots and when you set neck relief it stays put.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I like a bright sounding bass, but I could never get along with Warmoth necks. The steel bars they use add a "clang" to the sound that is always there. Even great EQ can't fix it. I also don't like the fact that they're 3 times heavier than a normal neck. Put one on a nice light body, and you have to fight it.
    I've also had 2 necks that the fingerboard came un-glued, and Warmoth said it was because of the Watco oil I used! They almost weren't going to warrantee them. They were only days old when it happened, and both belonged to a customer who bought them for projects.
    Corey

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Wow, that's amazing!! I had owned or built basses for customers using probably 15 different Warmoth necks and never had an issue with construction. In fact, I had one customer send a bass back with a USA neck and request a Warmoth in it's place because of dead spots. Maybe they got into some with bad glue or something?

I will say I have returned a Warmoth neck because of poor finish. I got a gloss neck once that had about 1/8" of clear on it that almost filled up the fretboard up to the frets!! This was a while back shortly after Ty left the paint shop. They were happy to accept the next in return as defective .... with a 50% restock fee!! :crying: Needless to say if I buy a Warmoth neck now I finish it myself or send it to Ty at Roxy.

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Yeah... those 2 necks I had twisted(severely) and the fingerboards came off within 24 hours of the first coat of Watco. They were very unfriendly when the customer called, and said that the oil voided the warrantee! He said that he understood that they would not cover a neck that twisted without a hard finish, but within 24 hours!!!!
    I will agree that Warmoths tend to have less dead spots. I just don't care for the tone they impart with the steel bars. I've not really had any problems with USA Custom, and their fretwork is nice. It usually doesn't require too much dressing to make it level.
    Ty does nice work!
    Corey