Warmoth necks- too heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basss, Feb 26, 2004.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm thinking about buying a Warmoth 5 string neck for a project I'm putting together. Weight is a big concern as I've had some back problems in the past. Do the steel rods they put in these things make them a lot heavier that other necks? How do they compare?
  2. I have a warmoth jazz fiver which is considerably lighter than my Fender Jazz four. They both have alder bodies, but the fiver is lighter. It probably helps that I have ultralite tuners by hipshot on er too though.
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    They are noticablly heavier - but not considerably. I would be more concerned about your pick of body woods.
  4. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I have a 4 string warmoth dinky jazz and it is lighter then my sterling.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My original '75 Fender with Swamp Ash (not northern ash) body is heavier than my Warmoth with alder body/all wenge neck. Warmoth necks are slightly heavier than Fender necks, but you can compensate with ultralight tuners. IMHO, body wood will have a much bigger effect on the total weight of the bass.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, they are heavier, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Its more of a pain in the neck to deal with a lower quality piece of gear then it is to cary the slight difference. ;)

7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Thanks all, sounds like they aren't too bad.