1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Necks - Too Heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big Rich, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Hello TB'ers,
    I am looking to make a 34" scale version of my Lakland 55-02. I just can't get used to the 35" scale. I was thinking of making a Warmoth G5 with the MM/J pups. The body wood would be swamp ash. The neck would be maple/maple. I have read that Warmoth necks are heavy. I don't mind the weight as much, but I would hate to have any neck dive.
    Any of you Warmoth owners have any neck dive? Thanks for your input.

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    no experience with warmoth 5 strings, but both my 4-string jazz basses are *very* light swamp ash with wenge/wenge and wenge/ebony necks...simply moving the lower strap button about an inch towars the top of the body instead of dead center is all it took to balance mine

--i also used lightweight tuners

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes they are heavy. My wenge/ebony J neck is 1.2 kilos. My geddy neck is 800 grams... almost a full pound heavier. HOWEVER, the neck is awesome. Super stable and I LOVE the feel of the wenge. Very nice. I put some Hipshot ultralight tuners on it and that helped. Recently I put some fishing tackle weights in the control cavity and that helped quite a bit too. There is still a little neck dive but its tolerable and when I have my forearm in the playing position its not noticeable at all. If I could go back in a time machine, I'd buy it all over again.

My neck is a 4 stringer.

4. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    I would definitely get the ultra-lite tuners. Thanks for the advice. Fishing weights :) I would have never thought of that.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i have a warmoth maple neck/rosewood board on a 4 lb body and don't have any issues. i did go with the ultralight tuners.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Big Rich; forgive me if you've already done any of this...
    The percentage of difference b/t 34" and 35" is very small; 3%-ish.
    You'll really only feel this at all in the lower positions.
    When playing down there, be sure to keep you fretting thumb low on the neck, below the halfway mark.
    Keep your elbow tucked in towards your body.
    If doing this, even smaller handed folks shouldn't have problems.

To answer the original q:
    I have one warmoth 5 string, and two Valenti warmoth based basses.
    The necks are on the heavy-ish side, but with hipshot ultralights, dive shouldn't be an issue.

You might also look at USACG as an alternate parts source.

7. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Jul 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I also have a 4 string Maple/Rosewood warmoth J neck, and did not choose the ultra-light tuners, but instead got the vintage style tuners. But on my shoulders, my warmoth (alder P body) feels the same as my '75 fender p bass. It's a little hefty, but I certainly don't have neck dive problems. My Warmoth is currently my #1 bass.
    That being said, I definitely love Lakland necks and have had similar thoughts as yours. You can get the neck dimensions from the Lakland site and compare that to those from Warmoth and USACG. I don't think either company's standard 5 string neck is quite as thin (top of fretboard to back of neck) as the laklands. USACG specifically says on their website that they will do custom dimensions for neck widths (or depths if you prefer), so consider that. Not sure if Warmoth will do the same, but they have great CS and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them to do it.

8. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Thanks chef. That's great advice. My thumb on my fretting hand is below the half way point. Problem is, my wrist is starting hurt a bit more lately. However, I have not made it a point to keep my elbow close to my body. I will definitely try this.
    Thanks for sharing your Warmoth neck experience. I saw your Valenti. That Valenti #76 with the MM/J setup is still available. Must resist .... must resist ...

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It is useless to resist.
    You will be absorbed.

10. idler

idler

Oct 12, 2007
    I have a G5 walnut body with a wenge/maple neck. The neck is solid and chunky and it 'adjusts' down a couple of degrees when I put it on, but nothing to speak of. Much better than my alder/maple Ibanez, at any rate. Gotoh GB7 tuners.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Another vote to talk with USACG. They're great to work with and will make you a neck without metal bars.

12. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Thanks nohomework81 and BurningSkies, I will definitely look into USACG. I was unaware of this company.
    From what I am gathering so far, the Warmoth necks are a tad heavy and may have some neck dive, but nothing unbearable. Please keep the comments coming. I appreciate all input.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    None of my 3 warmoth based basses have neck dive.

14. ampegfatty

ampegfatty

Jun 3, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, the wood that warmoth uses is substantially heavier than the wood used by all other makers.

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yes they can be heavy...

16. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Cool. Thanks chef, fellow Missourian. SHOW ME the groove. (MO is the show-me state. I couldn't think of anything clever to write, that's all I got).:)

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I'd take a guess that its actually the two heavy steel bars that Warmoth install in all their necks instead of the wood that makes it heavy.

I'd also guess that the OP knows of these bars, and thus this thread was started in an effort to find out if its a huge difference.

I'd also(my last) guess that it's effect depends on heavy or light tuners, weight of the body, body shape, type of strap you use, and your tolarance for neck dive.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    if you wanna make the drive, you're welcome to play them.

19. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Wow. Thanks. I may take you up on that in the near future. I have never built/played a Warmoth parts bass.

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    They are a little heavier but its more in feel then anything else.

They feel solid and totally dig what they are doing.