1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth one day Warwick the other! HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

For a while I've wanted a Warwick thumb. Then I saw a Warmoth Jazz bass, and wanted that. This happens a lot, one day warwick, the other day i want a warmoth. What should I choose!

:help:

-
    A
    r
    p
    e
    g
    g
    i

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nothing until you know for sure.

3. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    thats the thing i'm never sure what to get. I already have a Jazz bass but getting a Warmoth is so tempting!

4. You all ready have a Jazz that you've modded to death (because Fenders suck right?) Well then WHY would you want a Warmoth? I mean they license designs from Fender...so they have to be inferior...so why bother with them? Just get that dandy Lakland you fawned over in the other thread? :meh:

Is the real problem that you like looking at basses more than playing them? Just curious.

5. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I've been gassing over a Warmoth Gecko for a long time. I really like the shape of them, and the idea of "kind-of" building my own. I don't have the tools or shop area to really go all out, but I think Warmoth is a great option. With all the frills and options I've been looking at, it'll probably run me about $1800 for a 6 string.

6. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Well,

Lakland is like Fender, but different. Same with Warmoth.

7. How are they different? Enlighten me. Because if you say quality, please take a second to realize you are comparing 3000 dollar basses to 1000 dollar ones, your point is negligible. A 3000 dollar custom shop Fender is every bit as good as a Lakland. And Lakland is very much like Fender, as in they offer basses that essentially are Fender copies. (Duck Dunn, Osborn, etc....it's still a P or a J) the only other difference you can really state is options...and by that point, yeah, so what.

So,again...enlighten me.

8. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I'm not comparing a $3000 to a $1000, I would be comparing a Skyline to an American Standard. Some people find something in Lakland that they don't find in Fender. Plus Warmoth is customizible, so it doesn't have to feel like a Fender. I have always loved the look of a Fender Jazz Bass, but I think that just about everyone uses one now.

9. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    I think the question you need to ask is which one would you get more use out of, as you already have a fender, that might already cover your warmoth tones, but if you think you would practice more with a warmoth then go ahead by all means. Also, off topic, but is your alias a Radiohead refrence?

10. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Yes, I love colin greenwood and the whole band. I just took out weird in the title and merged arpeggi and fish

11. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Well,

I would make the Warmoth sound different. My jazz right now just kinda sits in the mix, doesn't cut through when I'm jamming with people. I would probably put an either Audere or a J-Retro w/ Dark Stars, or Activators with the stock preamp.

12. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    This may sound like a really dumb question, but do you boost your mids when jamming?

13. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    On my amp, yes. It's still kind hard to hear myself

14. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    First let me say that I own Fenders and a Warmoth. They are "the same but different." Of course, the beauty of Warmoth is you're going to specify all the parts so you can skew it to your tastes. As for quality, I would say they are comparable and again, depends on your skills if you are doing the build. But the parts are first rate.

To the "cutting through" problem, might I suggest looking at your speakers? Perhaps more of a 2 x 10 or 12's configuration. Also, different brands are mid heavy. I like Schroeders as they definatley "cut through the mix."