1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth Or Carvin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    :help: I want a new 6 string bass, but I am undecided after doing some research I have narrowed my options to thise two, warmoth or carvin, can anyone tell me which one is more bang for the buck? for warmoth I have in mind a gecko bass, and for carvin an Icon bass

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Definetly go with the Carvin Icon. You won't be disappinted.

3. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    i dont have either but i heard that carvin's electronics, but Warmoths look really nice, and ive heard good things about them., but hey, i dont have either

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i live Carvins (see sig) and they are great basses for sure. i'd obviously highly recommend them. i really like them for their necks. the just fit. but then again i don't think i've ever played a Warmoth Gecko, so my opinion is swayed :D .

5. afiaowo

afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    You may want to ask Nino Valenti about this. First I have read threads where he comments highly about Carvin. He also has more experiene (likely) on this board with Warmoth parts than anyone.
    If you yourself don't have the skill to put together the parts so that you get the most of them, Nino does.
    Personally, I really love the Gecko shape. For me paying the extra to remove the Gecko and have it drilled for Hipshot lite tuners and Hipshot Triple Lock would be a great bass.
    In other ways you would have more options than Carvin as well.
    Again, I would get in touch with Nino.

http://www.valentibasses.com/

6. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006
    I had a Carvin LB76 with a humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck. And I have the say they were better than bartolinis. I'm not kidding. I remember before I ordered it, I was worries that the pickups would suck and how difficult it would be replacing them. Boy was I wrong.

I don't play six string anymore or else I would never have gotten rid of that bass.

Warmoth parts are awesome too, but a pain in the ass to have assembled. Still, I'm eyeing their Jazz bass parts, but I want to put CARVIN soapbars in it!! :cool:

7. How wierd. . . . . . I have been contemplating the very same thing. . . . . . a Warmoth Gecko 6 or the Carvin Icon 6. :meh:

The Warmoth would see a minor change in the horns and would require me to fret it myself, since they refuse to put the 6130 "low profile" frets on the Gecko 6 neck :confused: , and it IS an option with the Carvin. And if the Carvin pickups are as good as the previous poster suggests, . . . then that's a plus too. However, there may be more options in regards to woods with the Warmoth. The woods options are quite limited on the Carvin.

Yep, still up in the air about it.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think that Carvin would definatley be more bang for your buck, and you can be sure that the build quality would be great! I love my lb75f, but the Icon looks even sweeter.

9. Just got my BB75P from Carvin a few weeks ago, and I have to agree that the electronics are actually pretty good. At first pluck, the bass sounded pretty gutless, but when I listened to the bass through my direct box instead of through my amp, it sounded like maybe it was the strings. Swapped the Carvin factory strings for a set of GHS Gary Willis Progressives and whammo - waaay better sound, super clean and recordable.

I've never played the Warmoth, and I know that they make great basses, but I've been happy with Carvin - if you can stand the two-month wait, that is. ;)

10. I havent played nay Carvin's but I love Warmoth Gecko's. awesome basses though the neck is a little thicker than most at about 22 mm thick at the first fret.

11. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Warmoth makes awsome parts, but you should only go that way when you're sure you've the skills and tools..
    I build the body for my gecko neck myself, which gives you the advantage of having your a bass that really nobody else has..
    It was a pain in the bass to build though..

12. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Carvin also has a great return policy; 10 day try-out and no-questions-asked returns if you're not satisfied... What does Warmoth have?

I'd love to try out an Icon.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hmm. I had a Carvin 6 and I replaced the electronics with Bartolini. I can tell you that Carvin is a well built bass and great playing bass.

14. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I'd like to hear what the new 18v preamps sound like...

15. I would be getting the upgraded Piezo model, so yeah, I'm interested in what the new electronics sound like.

Oh, one other thing that makes me lean toards the Carvin over the Warmoth, . . . that's the 34" neck. I like the idea of a LITTLE less of a stretch. :)

16. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I just ordered an LB75P in January, which I got a couple weeks ago. I'd be glad to record some stuff for ya. Anything tone setting in particular that you'd like to hear?

17. i have a carvin fretless 6 made in the mid 1990's.. definitely one of my favorite axes that i played... they sound amazing and so cheap too.. even stock.. but adding a humbucker helps a lot ;)

18. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Given a Valenti construction job, I'd go Warmoth simply because of some of the options (woods, the choice of 3 different neck sizes/string spacings) they have. I'm very impressed by the Icons, in the looks, specs, and sounds department (thank you, whomever posed the clips last week).

I still don't think I'd purchase one without some type of incentive (winning the Monday morning $250, a gift of some sort) but I'd be much more apt to consider an Icon over an LB-type body. Now, if they came out with an Icon bolt-on... minimal change in tooling, and it would grab a bunch of us bolt-on fans, I'd bet money on it.

19. That would be me, you're welcome. Here's the link to the sound clips for those who haven't heard them yet:http://www.putfile.com/bassviking

I have 3 Warmoth parts basses and 2 Carvins (including a 4 string Icon). Either route would be a great way to go. You could order the Icon and if you don't like it return it and do the Gecko.

20. Get Carvin!