Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth or Grendel...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Apr 6, 2002.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Hi, guys!

I've always (since I was 18, at least, and that's soon half my life!) wanted to put together a Warmoth bass, but I've never got so far (yet). After seeing Nino's new Gecko, the GAS is coming on really, really fast, and I must admit that I'm *this* close to selling out my MTD Grendel to purchase the parts needed to do it.

However, I have a small uncertainty in me that I'll do something really stupid by selling my Grendel and possibly winding up with an inferior Gecko. Anyone have any opinions about the two choices? (I'd obviously love to hang on to the Grendel, but I can't afford it right now).

My Grendel is a pre-MTD model, one of those built before Michael adopted them into the MTD product range.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It sounds like you have a REALLY, REALLLLLY nice bass. I personally wouldn't sell the bass. I'd try to save up & build the Gecko & if you like it more then the MTD, then you have reason to sell the MTD. If not, you'll have a GREAT (IMO) back up to an even greater MTD.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    It is a nice one... it's the one featuring flame maple top and a nice, red sunburst of some kind, and a wenge fretboard (I think...). The two Barts really make the instrument stand up for itself, and considering I only paid $500 NEW three years ago, it would not be something I'd like to sell... really.

So, you're right, of course... but that would mean that I would have to wait for a long while to go through with my dream. ;) then again, I've been waiting for 16 years, maybe I should just wait another 2??? :D

I was looking at the Custom Thrift shop, and they sell a Deluxe 5 neck and body at 139 and 155 respectively... maybe that's the startup project I need, and I *think* I can persuade the significant other half into letting me spend that money even now... So maybe... And if I build that, then sell it, then build another one, then sell it, etc., etc., I could actually finance the Gecko. Hmmm... that's not a bad thought, especially considering the time of day (09:10 Saturday morning) :D

Thanks for your advice, though! Appreciated!