1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth or Mightey Mite neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, May 2, 2006.

1. Is any one neck better? I would like to get a Maple fretboard Jazz neck for my precision bass, but is Warmoth worth the extra buck or will Migthey Mite do my MIM P-bass just fine? :help: :hyper: Thanks!

2. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've experimented with LOTS of different necks over the years, and I'm currently using a Mitey Mite maple 4-string P-bass neck on my trusty old Frankenbass. It's very nice for the money. Good and straight, nice fretwork and finish, comfortable, sets up well, etc.

I do find that this one has a very noticeable dead spot in the typical area dead spots are found--seventh fret D on the G string. I don't believe any of the Warmoth necks I've used on this same bass ever had this problem. The Warmoth necks I've used were a maple/ebony fretless and a maple/ebony fretted, both Jazz dimensions.

I spent about $100 on the MM brand new. A neck comparable to the Warmoths I owned before is listed in the Warmoth "showcase" at $229 (birdseye model). Would I pay more than twice as much in the hope of getting rid of the aforementioned dead spot? Yes, I think so... If I had the money. At the time I bought the MM, however, I did NOT have the money, nor the time to wait for a neck order to arrive. (I found this particular neck in a local shop.)

Overall, I think the MM was a good value for my needs at the time. Hope this info helps you.

Matt

3. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    I've got a warmoth, its raw birdseye maple on birdseye maple bound and blocked in black, they are currently advertising quite a few finished ones. I had mine drilled for sperzel locking tuners. I hate those cheap stamped out tuners Fender puts on most of their guitars.

The Sperzels pretty much don't go out of tune, ever. I looked to see if Sperzel made bass tuners because I have them on my strat which has a vintage bridge on it. If I were so inclined I could carry the thing to a gig by the tremelo bar and not have to tune up when I got there ^^

Needless to say I love the neck. Warmoth is great because you can choose exactly what specs you want; from the woods, to the neck contour, to the fret wire.

On the other hand Mighty Mite is CHEAP in price. I would rather have a MightyMite parts bass than a MIM Fender. If you do go for the Warmoth dont cheap out on a plastic nut. Whatever you do, If you are planning on installing the neck yourself read in a repair manual how to do it first and make sure you have the proper tools.

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

I think this is true, too. I've played some MIM Fender stuff, and I do think the MM is better overall. Haven't checked out their bodies myself, but I would certainly give them a try based on my experience with their necks.

Matt