Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth or parts bass projects

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Dec 20, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm seriously considering assembling a bass from parts. I'm wondering how many of you have done this, and were you pleased with the results? How much money did you spend? How high a quality did you find the finished product? Any other comments?

2. Im doin it too! wooohooo! I cant tell you all my idea though, youre not ready for that jelly.

3. I guess the easiest thing is, you can spend however much money you want (You can get kits off ebay for $99.99 or you could go all out and spend thousands of dollars), or how little you want. And the quality will go hand in hand with how much money and work you put into it. All in all, if you do it right, you should like the results.

4. DenverKen

DenverKen

Dec 20, 2001
    Mile High City
    I'm going to do this over the winter, probably starting in January or February (unless I have my taxes done first :-( ). My goal is to build something that has Bart soaps with 3 way coil taps for each. The idea of getting a single coil on either side of either pickup is intriguing. That will keep me busy experimenting tonally for awhile!

Denver Ken

5. I understand that Warmouth makes a killer 5 string neck. I'd like to put together a P/Stingray 5 string based on this neck.

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    RS
    I wanted to do the same thing a couple of years ago so I bought a Fender Jazz 5 neck off of EBAY and pick ups (EMG soapbars). It was my intention to buy a Warmoth body and assemble the bass from parts I would find on Ebay and other websites. It turned out that the neck did not fit the Warmoth bodies(older model) so I found a local luthier and had him make me a body and he assembled the bass. Plan on spending more than you plan on spending. BTW after replacing the EMG pick ups and preamp(not my sound) with a Basslines MM humbucker, a Basslines neck position jazz bass pick up and an Aguilar preamp my bass sounds killer. I have the both pick ups set up with a series/parallel switch so the tonal options are huge and the sound is somewhere between a Stingray and a good Jazz bass. Good luck, it is a fun project.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    There's someone here that has a Warmouth 5 that looks like a Sadowsky 24 fret. I'd like one of those.

8. I'm going to be building a P Bass, got my pick up(Seymour Duncan Antiquity P Bass Raised A), Original Fender Bridge Cover, Bad Ass Bridge II, Hipshot Ultralite "Clover" Tuners, Walnut or Mahogany Body, Thuya Burl Laminate Front and Back, Rosewood Fingerboard, still undecided on the neck wood(hard rock maple maybe).

Going to buy pots, Knobs, and Fret Wires from Warmoth.

It's going to be all chrome hardware and high gloss finish on the laminate.

That's all.

9. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hello everyone, This is my first post after reading TB for some weeks now. I've been impressed with the range of knowledge and overall enthusiasm expressed by all of you and I've been both educated and entertained. Thanks.

I built a Warmoth jazz bass in 1999. It's a 5-string with a swamp ash standard J-body with midnight blue transparent finish. I have both fretted and fretless necks - the fretted one is birdseye maple with an ebony board and the fretless is goncalo alves with an ebony board. Hardware is black - gotoh tuners and a schaller bridge. I started the project because I wanted a Sadowsky but didn't want to spent the bucks. I shipped the body (which was routed for 4 inline knobs) and basslines soapbars to Roger and had him install the pickups and his electronics. Bottom line - around $875 to Warmoth and $425 to Sadowsky + shipping costs. The fretless neck was ordered later separately for another $250. So a total of $1550 + some shipping charges for the bass with two necks.

The bass looks fantastic and the sound is that big fat round Sadowsky trademark. The fretless is the neck I use nowadays and it has great growl.

Would I do it all again - yes. I learned a lot and I have a friend in New Orleans who owns a couple of Sadowskys and he's bowled over by the bass' looks and sound.

Some of you may want to see pics so I'll check at the family gathering tonight and see if I can use someone's digital camera to get some.

Best of luck to all. I hope this little success story is an inspiration.

Gantt

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As bgavin said, Warmoth is supposed to make a great 5 string neck. In addition to a dual action truss rod, it has 2 steel stiffening rods in it. This makes it a few ounces heavier than a Fender neck, but is supposed to make for an extremely stable neck.

I also have a P/MM planned for sometime next year, the neck that I am going to order will be wenge with a macassar ebony fingerboard, and the body will be flame maple over swamp ash.

11. I'm working on a Warmoth P/J. I just received the neck, body, pickguard and control plate the other day. I have to admit, the quality is better than I had expected. The neck especially is very well done.

Here's a pic...

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome, Gantt!

Yes, please do. Nicely done Warmoth basses are always an inspiration to all!

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Pretty! Isn't Warmoth's stuff nice?

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    how would you go about contacting sadowsky? i am wanting to get started on a Warmoth Bass.. Hopefully I'll have the bass body by the summer... then I pray i can get some good electronics stuck in it :).

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Was that body in the Thrift Shop? I kept looking at it, but couldn't bring myself to buy a black body. Of course, seeing it together with the block inlays, and matching headstock...:eek:

Very VERY nice.

I picked up a wenge/pao ferro neck from the thrift shop, and will probably be buying a Swamp Ash Explorer body with P/reverse P pickups in the near future. I figured I might as well make it different from anything I currently have. :)

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That's probably the only black bass I'd ever consider getting.. VERY NICE!

17. It was. I was looking for a P/J configuration on a jazz body with a pickguard cut for a P-style pickup. I saw it on the Thrift Shop and scarfed it up that day.

I also would have never considered a black body. I was browsing on the Warmoth site and saw a P bass neck with the black binding and thought that might look good with a black body. I ordered the J bass neck with black binding, inlays and a matching headstock. Just for kicks, I had them finish the front in gloss and the back in satin - came out very nice. I was going to have them build a J body when I found that one on the Thrift shop - saved a bunch!

Jeff

18. I'm going to build one too as soon as I can decide what I want!

What do you guys think a swamp ash
    P-bass with a natural finish, no pickguard and a rosewood fretboard would look like?

I can't picture a P-bass without a pickguard. I'm thinking it would be the ultimate in simplicity.

Slap some vintage Fender pickups in it and let the grooving begin!

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That'd be Nino.