Warmoth Order Disappointment- RESOLUTION UPDATE IN OP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dopejohnpaul, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    Ok Bassists, I want some opinions. I recently ordered a custom neck from Warmoth for a bass build I’m doing. It arrived today. It’s a gorgeous, well built neck. BUT- I ordered roasted flame maple for the shaft, and I made it very clear ordering on the phone that the flame was of utmost importance to me. The CSR agreed and mentioned how my gloss choice would make the flame pop. After seeing all of the RFM in their stock showcase priced under what I spent, seeing their hundreds of RFM necks in Instagram posts, putting my order into their site builder, etc I thought I knew exactly what to expect. Well after a 12 week wait (on week 18 waiting for my body), it arrived today, and the flame is so underwhelming. Like, even my 65 year old mother (who’s listened to me talk about this build for 6 months) said, “Where’s all the stripes?” Not at all what I was led to expect. I know all wood is different, and they can’t guarantee the amount of flame styling, but am I wrong to be bummed about what I received? It’s like 75-80% not flamed on the shaft. Would you contact them? Should I suck it up and enjoy this beautifully made neck even though it’s not what I paid for? I feel like I was very misled. Here’s a picture of what I received vs what the site builder showed my specs as, their current showcase offerings priced hundreds less than what I paid, and a recent IG post showcasing their flame maple options.

MOD EDIT TO ADD RESOLUTION AS SUPPLIED BY OP:

RESOLUTION UPDATE:
    Around 2:00 today, I received a UPS email with a shipping return label. A bit after that, I received a lengthy, concise, detailed, pleasant, and very helpful email from Jeff at Warmoth. Understandably, they were a bit down about how this thread took off. They did however want me to mention how thankful they were for all former and future customers who said kind words about their business and products. Jeff and his team could not have provided a better, more perfect solution. They absolutely agree with our collective assessment that the neck is NOT a flame maple neck. They are going to replace it, and even upgrade the flame to an even higher grade for me at no extra charge. They’re going to move it to the front of the line, so hopefully it won’t be too long. They’ve agreed to go into their system and take a look at areas where things might not be clear as far as the “off-menu” type upgrades. All in all, I could not have hoped for a better resolution, and this has done nothing but solidify my belief that these guys are top notch, and care about the customers. Oh and bonus, my body ships on Monday! Cheers!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2021
    40Hz, Billyzoom, Thumper02 and 18 others like this.
  2. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for? Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    I would probably be a little disappointed that myself.
    From a distance it looks like there's a defect in the one flamed spot on the neck.

3. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    If you paid extra for something which isn't there, then a nice polite conversation about how much of a refund you'll be getting seems reasonable.

4. CaptainLeisure

CaptainLeisure Gold Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2020
    I'd return it. It's not even in the same ballpark as their advertising.

DwaynieAD, Obese Chess, BOOG and 32 others like this.
  5. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    That isn't even close to flame maple...

inthevelvet, dopejohnpaul and design like this.
  6. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Yeah, return it or sell it. Otherwise it will bug you for the rest of the time with that bass.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That's not what I would call flamed maple. You shouldn't b paying extra for that.

DwaynieAD, Slinger, Koog and 10 others like this.
  8. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    So I tend to agree with all of the opinions here. I very nicely contacted customer service by phone, and they asked to see pictures. I sent them photos, along with the comparison photos I showed here. Their CSR’s initial response:

“We cannot guarantee the flame figuring in any of our products. Wood grain varies piece by piece. We will have multiple eyes look at this to see if we are at any fault here. If we decide we’re at fault, we’ll rebuild your neck with a 20% restock fee for the first one. But if our builders say it looks fine, you’re welcome to reorder a neck to your liking for the cost of the new neck, plus the restock fee for the first neck.”

Oof.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    BOOG, Amano, BBQisgood and 1 other person like this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Did the CSR spell that out in advance when you had your conversations prior to purchase? Was there an explanation from them about how much of a variance from "perfectly flamed (as appears in their marketing photos)" is acceptable?

If not, that would be the first chink in the armour as to if they were at fault. "Looks fine" is way too subjective a measure here.

I agree with the others so far. They've delivered maybe 30% of what you ordered and paid for. I'd be disappointed.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    20% restock fee?
    Bull!
    Plus shipping, of course.
    How much does that add up to, $30, $40?

Right or wrong, the least they could have done was provide you with a photo of the neck before taking your money.

11. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Not even within reasonable limits does that flame compare to the pics. Hope all goes well on the return, OP.

12. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    So, the CSR himself did not make that point overtly, as it does s discuss this in most of the information Warmoth puts out to it’s customers ahead of time. However, that’s why they offer the ability to pay extra for upgraded top choice woods and figuring. Their system has changed over the years. They used to offer A, AA, and AAA graded flame. Now they have a system called “Unique Choice,” where you get to pick the specific wood piece being used in your build. At the time of my order, I chose the UC options for my flame top on the body and the ebony fretboard on this neck (which is super gorgeous, and adds to my sadness about this whole situation). There was no option for a UC shaft wood choice when I was ordering, which is why I mentioned it explicitly to the phone rep I ordered with.

@jd56hawk at what I paid for this neck, a 20% restock fee is almost a couple of hundred dollars.

JC0313, BBQisgood, 31HZ and 3 others like this.
  13. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    Here’s a frontal pic of the neck, for anyone curious. It’s cream bound, gold fretted, gold blocked, and a choice ebony board. It’s literally perfect, except for the lack of flame I was expecting.

Attached Files:

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I wonder what their response would be if you let them know that all the bassists on the talkbass forum seem to feel that the neck should be replaced.

Does anyone know if the method in the youtube video below is the way warmoth would flame maple a neck?
    How to flame finish on guitar neck (PART 1) - YouTube

ChasBass, noeinstein, nickpc and 3 others like this.
  15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    @jd56hawk at what I paid for this neck, a 20% restock fee is almost a couple of hundred dollars.[/QUOTE]
    Wow!

16. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    As much as I love all of us here, I highly doubt they have any care whatsoever as to what the folks on TB think about their production methods :laugh:

17. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    They have a return period. If you're within it, you can ship it back and it should only cost you return shipping. Then order another one.

18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    When it comes to wood grain, you literally pay more for the exotic and rare stuff. Plain hard maple is cheap, highly figured maple is very expensive. That is lightly figured. I've seen budget instruments sneak out with that much flame. A welcome surprise on a squier.... Not so nice on an expensive custom neck.

19. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Based on this information I don't think I would ever order anything custom from Warmoth. And maybe not even something in stock.

They can take it back and still easily sell it for a profit, and make the customer with a legit beef happy. The fact that they choose a few dollars for a company that big over the customer is cause for concern.

Have you gotten a response from the builders yet?

20. dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    I have not received an update yet. I emailed them at 1:00PM PST and they just now closed for the day at 5:00OM PST. They’re very backed up and busy, so I’d expect a day or two before they respond. I have no issues with Warmoth. They produce beautiful, quality instruments. I’ve owned many before, and I’ll own many again. This was just my first ever custom order build from them, and that bummed me out a bit.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.