1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth P planning, advice needed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Aug 2, 2012.

1. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I want to build a Warmoth P, but I have absolutely zero experience with assembly, setup, etc. I'm not even sure I know all of the parts I need to get. The simple solution would be to order everything, take it to someone who knows what they're doing, and let them have at it. However, I'd like to use this as an opportunity to find out how everything works by doing it myself (with the ever-helpful advice of TB, of course ;)). Here's what I know I want:

Body (standard P)
    -swamp ash
    -top rout control cavity
    -leaning towards Lindy Fralin vintage pickups, still not quite sure
    -Mary Kay White finish
    -either tort or red pearl guard

Neck (J style)
    -I'm still undecided on wood. Probably maple with Indian rosewood fingerboard, but I'm open to other tonally similar suggestions
    -graphite rods
    -right hand reverse orientation
    -pearloid bound/blocked
    -white corian nut
    -stainless steel jumbo frets
    -clear satin nitro finish
    -Schaller BML tuners

Here are my questions:
    -I've never payed much attention to bridges. If they hold strings on then they're good enough for me, but I need to decide on one. Would it be a bad idea to go for the Gotoh 201 purely because it's the cheapest option? Or are they actually more important than I realize and if so do you have suggestions for which I should look into?
    -Electronics. I've never even changed a pickup before, an to be quite honest I really don't know much about how everything works inside of the control cavity. I don't know what I need (capacitors, shielding, pots, etc.), let alone how it all goes together. Where is the best place to start learning about all of this?
    -Random parts. I know in addition to everything listed above I'll still need mounting screws, a neck plate, string retainer, and strap holders. What other items are helpful?
    -It is going to be a little while before I've saved up enough to get everything. Is there anything I could practice in the mean time to improve skills pertinent to the assembly required? It's been a long time since I've soldered anything, so that is definitely something I need to work on. What else should I be working on?

If there is a similar thread to this one then please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for not finding it (I promise I looked!) and continue about your day. Otherwise, thanks in advance for the advice!

2. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    The way I learned was by modifying cheap basses piece by piece. Going "all-in" on your first build may be a bit overwhelming, especially if you're not even sure of all the parts you'll need.
    I'd suggest buying a cheap Squier P Bass, and then incrementally replacing components as you learn your way. That way, you can actually "see" how the instrument goes together, and when you're done replacing everything, you pretty much will have an extra bass worth of parts to continue messing with.
    I personally think the Gotoh 201 is a very nice bridge, and will match existing stock Fender/Squier mounting holes. Warmoth necks are nice too.

Good luck, have fun!

3. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an old Squier P, one of my first thoughts was I should pull it apart and tinker around a bit. I'd like to not throw down money to upgrade everything on it though considering I'm trying to save up for the Warmoth. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to completely disassemble it and build it back from scratch?

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    For the wiring, you can get kits here that have everything you need. You can also get copper shielding tape there if you want.

Also, the Gotoh 201 is a fine bridge if you want to keep it simple. If you have them drill for the 201 any standard Fender bridge should work and they are also available at the site above.

5. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    But when you're done, it will be your new Warmoth, just not all at once.

Taking the Squier bass apart and reassembling is a great way to start. If you want to reassemble it with a Gotoh 201 instead of the stock bridge, your journey has begun. Next time after that, take it apart and reassemble it with your Warmoth neck...

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    All would add is to suggest you go to radio shack or similar and get some braided wire and a pot. Practice soldering, tinning the wire etc.
    It makes it easier when you get to really installing electrics. Getting a nice shiny solder takes a little practice, and soldering on the back of the pot for grounding can be tricky.
    Good luck.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can do it! It's not difficult.

Do yourself a few favors while you're waiting for the parts to arrive.
    1. Learn how to solder
    2. Purchase: Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine

The Gotoh 201 is a fine bridge, just keep in mind that the saddle barrels are on the larger side. If you like a low action, it can be somewhat tough to dial in. If you like a super low action, consider a different bridge. Personally, I'd go for the plain ol' Fender threaded barrel bridge or a Hipshot Vintage style.

Electronics: Just purchase a P bass wiring kit.
    You'll need (and it should include): (2) 250K pots, (1) .047 cap, (1) mono output jack, a few feet of wiring.

As for other things you'll need to you didn't list: Knobs and pickguard screws.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Many good suggestions above re: soldering and pre-practice/pre assembly.
    Study well, Grasshopper. ;)

For me, personally, MKW deserves an gold anodized guard.

wraub

9. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Bassgod0dmw, I'll definitely check that book out. I think my plan now is to acquire parts over time instead of all at once. Each time something new comes in I'll completely take apart my Squier and put it back together with the new parts, until everything has been replaced except the body. That way once I finally order the Warmoth, I'll have essentially already assembled it quite a few times and it should go smoothly. It'll also help spread the cost out so it's not as big of an impact.

10. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wraub- I change my mind about the PG all the time. Gold anodized has definitely been considered, who knows what I'll end up deciding. The color scheme was inspired by a beautiful MKW jazz I saw with a tort guard, hence my leaning towards that. But only time will tell...

11. body seems good
    for the neck I would keep the steel rods, bettr sustain and stability
    you can go to Warmoth's Showcase (pre made) are
    there you can sort the neck by weight
    definitely go for a slim taper back contour

i would choose the Gotoh 201 and look for a Badass II on Ebay ( same hole alignment)
    6150 ius the standard Fendder fret

12. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ordered a Warmoth Jazz neck 3 with steel rods 3 weeks ago, I'm going to use that to decide if I want steel or graphite for my next one. What exactly are the advantages/disadvantages of the Badass II?